You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:37 pm 

I feel kind of stupid but what is "Sabrina's Law"? All I know is that it's some law they're working on to protect allergic children in school. Does anyone have any links or more detailed info about this law? How will they protect our kids? When will it be put in place??? Thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:42 pm 

Canuckmommy;

It is a law that passed in Ontario to protect ana pupils, I belive that is wording...
As of January 2006 it is law !
On a sadder note is named for a young girl who died from this disease

You may want to go the this Website

www.anaphylaxis.ca

Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:49 pm 

I have been trying to edit what I said , just noticed I can not.

"Sabrina's Law" is the name of the Bill for Sabrinia Shannon. Who died 2 years ago this month.

Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Canuck,

Also Allergic Living did a big article on the issue and Sabrina in its first issue (Spring 2005). If you click on the Allergic Living logo, it will take you back to the main homepage.

Click on the Current/Past Issues tab, then go to "Read Excerpts" under Spring 2005 and you'll find the opening of the story. There's also a thread to the CBC documentary. (Though I haven't tried to see if it's working during the CBC lockout.)

/Gwen

Post subject: Sabrinia Shannon
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:03 pm 

Sabrina 's Law is the reason why we are going forward with our allergies.

And now perhaps there is a great deal more research is being done. etc. Because of her Mother.

Post subject: thx for your responses
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:07 pm 

I searched the web and found info on Sabrina's Law. I wanted more specific details about what was going to be done. I knew the basics but wanted to know exactly how our board was going to protect my DS while he's in school. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:03 pm 

From what I can understand (I am a teacher and mother to 2 girls that are anaphylaxis) the Sabrina Law makes the schools teacher all staff how to recognize the signs of an anaphylactic reactions and how to respond (training using the epi-pen). They are also supposed to try and make the school a safer environment and therefore we may see more peanut free schools.
Hope that helps.
Shelley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:48 pm 

Just wanted to mention that the law will protect all children with potentially anaphylactic conditions - not only those with peanut allergies. Sabrina Shannon's very unfortunate death came about because the tongs used to serve her french fries purchased in the school cafeteria came in contact with the topping used in poutine (a cheese product popular in Quebec and surrounding area). Schools will have procedures in place to protect all children with this life-threatening condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:31 pm 

Yes Julie that's right. I wonder if schools will take more products out of the school such as milk, fish and peanuts. But then how would they promote the milk program. Right now my daughter gets so mad b/c she can't have the milk at school. It would make life easier if things were more general.
Cheers
Shelley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:17 pm 

[quote="canuckmommy"]I what is "Sabrina's Law"? All I know is that it's some law they're working on to protect allergic children in school. Does anyone have any links or more detailed info about this law? How will they protect our kids? When will it be put in place??? Thanks :

Sabrinas Law is the reason why so many anaphylactic children/adults are still alive. Because of Sabrina and her Mother, the government actually learnt to listen to the plight of the people out there suffering from anaphalaxis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Before Sabrina's Law, policies regarding how a school dealt with this issue was at the discretion of each individual school. Some took it more seriously than others. I have heard of children being sent to detention to eat their lunch. :shock: You could not do this to a disabled child- schools have had to adapt to accomidate their needs.
Thanks to Sabrina's Law, schools across Ontario will come January 1, 2006, have to have clear policies on how they deal with food allergies.
It is unclear what role food bans will play, whether food will be removed as a teaching tool/craft suppy, or how schools will celebrate festivities which now incorporate foods.
I am pretty certain that all staff will be taught how to use an EpiPen and what signs to look for. I am confident that food services handlers will be trained on what they can do to prevent the situations of cross contamination like the one that caused the death of Sabrina.
From what I have read, Sabrina was very aware and always read labels. She had researched the cooking methods for the french fries and found that this was a food that should have been "safe". She asked her parents permission to eat them and after doing all of the things that I hope to teach our daughter to do, still had a fatal anaphylaxic reaction.
Unless policies are legislated, our children will be at risk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Here is the Ontario Government web-site explaining the law (scroll down to Explanation)
http://www.ontla.on.ca/french/library/b ... 1/3381.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:38 pm 

hi...
my name is Kathleen and I go to the same school that Sabrina went to. i just wanted to tell you that Sabrina's Law is an amazing thing that has made my life so much easier. Before, teachers didn't know who I was or that I am severely allergic to peanuts and nuts. Now, because of Sabrina's Law i feel a lot safer at school. All the teachers know me by name and that I am anaphylactic. They make sure that they know where I keep my epipen and that I have it with me all the time. I have had teachers tell me that they can help me if I am having a reaction because they now know how to use the epipen. I am very thankful for everything that has been done to help make teens like me safe, and I just wanted to let you know that Sabrina's Law works! I have seen first-hand the change, and I am very thankful to everyone who had a part in making it a law, especially Sabrinas mom. well i hope that this helps you to understand how the law will make a difference!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:55 pm 

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the post--that's great to hear! Sabrina's parents spoke AllergyExpo in Toronto which I attended, and the work that they, Dave Levac, and everyone else who advocated for this law have done is really inspiring. Things sound so much better than when I went to highschool.