Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:00 pm 

Just a theory but I think I should share:

Should ones immune system be compromised by another immunologic issue then it could possibly turn out a low reaction, or no reaction even if you would normally produce the anti-bodies because once you hit a certain point your body just can't keep up.

BTW... Sorry I've been so quiet. Apparently on top of Corn I get to deal with Lyme. Late stage. :? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Shelley-Ooh, poor you!

I hope you respond to treatment quickly.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:18 pm 

Thank you Susan!

As selfish as it sounds I am going to say the only thing I can... Me too!

But that said I am likely in for the long haul. It's in stage 3 based on how long things have been going on. The good news is it is Lyme and not MS, ALS, CFS, etc.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

There you go! Think positively! :)
You will get through this and at least now you know what it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:00 am 

*big nod* Exactly my way of thinking! I still am sitting here thinking it would be an interesting thing for someone dealing with allergies to look into. I've actually sort of dropped it on my allergists office so to speak and I see them in January (big month in my world... January). I'll post back to pass on what we talk about with regards to the IgG/IgM etc. testing.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:43 am 
Site Admin

There was an article on immune systems and allergies a while back...here is the link:
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... ght=immune

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:48 am 

Thank you Susan! Hope you don't mind but I am going to share this on the Lyme forum I am on.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:34 am 
Site Admin

I have no problem with that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:46 am 

Did you know that in most solid form (pills or caplets, etc.) medications, there is corn starch to make it keep it shape....I react to corn starch, herego, I cannot take any antihistimine (realised after a long while, they were making sicker instead of helping...), tylenol, any kind of medication, actually.....prescribed or over ther counter..... solid or liquid....

I had to learn "natural" pain management the hard way....ie...tough it out....

I am 41, caucasian fourth child of parents born in Canada, of French descent...I think...

I developped close to 16 food intolerances and or allergies to various degrees over the course of 6 months, a little over a year ago....Althoug, I was already lactose intolerant as a teanager and started reacting to peanuts and all nuts after the birth of my third daughter....

I found mounts of knowledge and answers here...just wanted to say thanks.....

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:33 am 

Loumana wrote:
Did you know that in most solid form (pills or caplets, etc.) medications, there is corn starch to make it keep it shape....I react to corn starch, herego, I cannot take any antihistimine (realised after a long while, they were making sicker instead of helping...), tylenol, any kind of medication, actually.....prescribed or over ther counter..... solid or liquid....

This is why I (and I am sure Eldi and a number of others) pay for compounded medications.

Steps to take:

1. Get your allergist to write a prescription for corn free Ibuprofen.
2. Have a compounding pharmacist make you them. ALL they have is the gelatin caps (which some places have other ones but my place can get the pure ones which are made from the bone marrow of cows - yes... I know... "ick" - I see oyu are allergic to Bovine Protine so... I think there is a brand called NOW Foods that has a Vegtable one made from tree bark... maybe you can research those? ), the active PRE-PROCESSED raw medication, and whatever filler you can tolerate. ANY good compounding pharmacist will actually work with you.

Mine did the leg work, then called up to get the scripts written and sent to her...

The kicker here will be the filler. I use lactose as I can tolerate that amount. The caps come in 300 and 600 mg though sooooooooooooooo... If you went with 0 filler at a 300 mg it might be perfect.

P.S. This works with diphenhydramine (the active ingredient in Benadryl)... The problem I see is the filler but again... A compounding pharmacist will let you try them.

P.P.S. They often are NOT covered by insurance... They had to be done in lots of 100 pills at 1-1.50 a pill... The reasons they are not covered - 1. Available over the counter, and 2. No DIN (Drug Identification Number) because she used RAW ingredients.

P.P.S.S. If you are having trouble locating one... Try calling the hospital near you.

Oh and in the interim... Or as an alternate... Get your hands on some pure Willowbark, and some of those fillable sachets or a tea ball. Do up real Willowbark tea... the actual analgesic from Asprin came from it before it was synthetic.

I am a tough it out kind of person but when you get as sick as I am, with the pain I have... you'd do damn near anything.

http://www.functionalingredientsmag.com ... te=FFNSite Gel cap info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:00 am 

Thanks for all the info and Advice Shelley E!

I had heard of compounding pharmacists. My research showed there are some in Montreal but not in Québec where I live....I will ask the hospital...never thought of that....

Yes...I guess the filler would be the main problem here since my lactose intolerance has degenerated into Bovine Protein intolerance....or so it seems....unless it's hidden corn again....And at this point...if Animal bone marrow can allow me some pain reliever....I really don't mind!

I will also try and find Willowbark.....Sometimes, must admit (specially recently).... I've come close to deciding to "deal" with the sideffects of a good Extra Strenght Advil, just to get rid of a peticularely strong and blinding migraine...or at least ease it up a bit...

Well, I'Ll be up to bed now...lottsa "shopping" to do in the next few days! Thanks again! Shelley E

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:13 am 

No problem!

Trust me when I say I understand on all counts!

I pulled the medication section of the C-FF page too for you:

Quote:
Antihistamine:
Benadryl Children’s – Dye-Free Alcohol-Free Sugar-Free Bubblegum flavored. (sorbitol contains corn)
Benadryl Children’s – Cherry Alcohol-Free (citric acid from corn)
Wal-Dryl (Walgreen’s Benadryl) – Dye-Free capsules virtually corn-free, but none are totally.

Loratadine: Alavert (all ingredients synthetic, lactose from milk) CC 9/06
Loratadine: Alavert D (all ingredients synthetic, lactose from milk) CC 9/06
Loratadine: Claritin D (12 & 24 hr) CC 9/06 reactions reported – may contain corn.
Loratadine: Target brand (blue box) lactose from milk, starch is potato, microcrystalline?

Nalex-A (mild antihistamine)
Nalex-D

Cough & Cold:
Hyland Cough Syrup ? 800-624-9659

Mucinex & Mucinex D – Adult versions only. Children’s contain corn.
Mucinex 600 Extended Release Tabs CC 3/07 (contains no grain, starch glycolate from potato)
Nutribiotic Defense Plus – company labeled as corn-free.

NasalCrome – nasal spray
Olbas Inhaler (menthol inhaler/decongestant) www.olbas.com

St. Claire’s Throat Soothers www.econaturalsolutions.com (cough drop type thing, not hard candy)

Pain:
Advil Children’s Liquid suspension CC 8/06. 800-322-3129 (sorbitol not from corn. grape or fruit flavors only, contains soy.)
Advil Infant Dye-Free CC 8/06 (contains soy)
Advil Liquigels (contain sorbitol) (corn reaction reported)
Aleve caplets & tablets CC 1/07 (reaction reported)
Elixsure acetaminophen and ibuprophen ?
Feverall suppositories (polysorbate 80 – corn derived) 8/06
Hyland’s Teething Tablets ? (contain lactose)
Nature’s Way White Willow Bark www.naturesway.com GF (this is aspirin. If you’re allergic to aspirin, or cannot take aspirin, do not take this)

http://corn-freefoods.blogspot.com/

If you can not avoid it... at least you can cave with a bit of help to make it less intrusive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:31 am 

I have only known about my allergies for a few years. So here it goes.

I am 24

Only a few people in my family have allergies and none of them are food allergies. Most of them think I am crazy (until they see me having a reaction).

Allergic to latex and corn - thats all I know of right now.

My recations are always a mix of things, never just one.

Here are some:

Breakouts (bad), little cuts and rashes, patches of skin that are painfull to the touch. Tightening of the throat and chest, buzzing of the face, headaches, light sensitivity, joint pain in my legs. numbness of legs and arms, stomach issuses, crashing ( drop dead asleep), temporary paralysis, mood swings, can't talk or inpaired speech and the list goes on..... And all are from corn :(

I have never been to the ER ( knock on wood). Although a few time I should have :oops:
The thought of it scares me! I have no clue what to do if I ever ended up in the ER. Somebody told me to ask for saline IVs only because they usually use dextrose, but is that safe?!?!?

I am soooo thankful for this site :D I don't feel so alone anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:13 am 
Site Admin

HoneyBee- Do you have an Epipen? Have you discussed your concerns re hospital treatment with either your allergist or the hospital administration?

It concerns me that given the extent of your symptoms, you have never gone to a hospital.

I don't know a lot about hospital policies or functions but I would look into how local hospitals would handle such a challenging patient situation and possibly having pre-admission information on file at all local hospitals advising against corn and latex products (I am sure they are used to the latex allergy).

Ignorance is not bliss! Find out what would happen and educate them if need be now before you require their services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:03 pm 

HoneyBee...I have almost the exact same reactions to yours except for the paralysis. It's usually my skin that reacts first so I have a warning to stop whatever I think is bothering me.

Going to the hospital is a horrifying experience! The doctors and staff do not know anything about corn allergies and treat you like you are crazy to even suggest that there is corn in medication/IVs, etc. We NEED to get some help with this allergy! What is it about corn allergy that makes it so unbelievable?

A few years ago I ended up in the ER with a deep cut to my hand (I was washing canning jars and one of them shattered in my hands) and I needed a lot of stitches (inside and out). When asked by the admitting clerk if I had any allergies, I said "yes, I am extremely allergic to corn" and she just said "oh" and looked at me like I had a tin-foil cone on my head. She wasn't even going to put it on my chart until I made a scene...explaining that most medication, bandages, creams, etc. had corn/corn derivatives in them. I hate to think what would happen if I were given a dextrose based IV solution????

If I can help you in any way, please ask. {{HUGS}}