You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:01 am 

My 4 yr old got a stainless steel bracelet right after her diagnosis in June 07, and wore it for several months until I noticed a rash where the emblem would be touching her skin. I then remembered that I have a nickel allergy and used to paint the back of my watch with clear nail polish. I have since replaced my velcro sport watch (not causing allergy, but just tacky) with a hypoallergenic one and it's great.

I phoned MA and was told the copper ones have nickel, but the silver bracelets do not, so I got her one of those instead. She's now been wearing the silver one for about 6 months and I noticed a slight rash in the same spot again, where the emblem would be touching her skin. I mentioned this to our allergist and he said it's possible the silver bracelet could have trace amounts of nickel, and I could order a nickel test kit and find out. I haven't done this yet, because I figured I would ask if anyone has experienced this.

If the silver bracelet does have trace amounts, I'm not sure what other bracelet to get. I wanted a metal one so it doesn't have to come off at bathtime, which I fear would be a challenge to keep remembering to put it back on. I like the fact that it's on and it never needs to come off.

Anyone else with a nickel allergy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:20 pm 

Our son reacted to the sterling silver sport medic alert bracelet, but he has been fine with the traditional stainless steel (just the basic bracelet). I was recently at an event where MedicAlert had a booth, and I talked to them about the bracelet, and they said there was no nickel in it, but I know my son's rash cleared up as soon as he stopped wearing it. Maybe try calling them again to see if they can shed some light on it. Failing that, maybe you could buy 2 of the velcro style kid's bracelets. The reason I say 2 is because our son used to have that style, but when the bracelet gets wet from the pool, it takes a long time for the bracelet to dry.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:05 pm 

Hmm, that's strange because the MA rep admitted readily that the stainless steel ones DO have nickel in them. I might have to get one of those nickel test kits and do the test on both the stainless and silver bracelets.

Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:17 pm 

Hi Alison's Mom, Just catching up on old posts and saw yours re: nickel in sterling silver. Honestly, I still felt there MUST be nickel in the sterling silver sports bracelet, but the person I spoke with at the booth claimed there was no nickel in it. Now that I've read your post, I believe there must be nickel in it and they were simply mistaken. The traditional stainless steel bracelet is not causing any problem. I really liked the sports bracelet, but the rubber was not great for a child (our son had 2 of these bracelets, and the rubber snapped off on both of them. I believe they would be appropriate for an older child or adult, and not one allergic to nickel).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:49 pm 

Very interesting thread, one of my twins is sensitive to metal, and can't have any touching his body. Since my 5 year old was diagnosed PA, I'm also worried about my little ones, and wearing a bracelet would be a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:16 am 

My DD has been wearing her silver one for a number of months now, and while it initially showed a slight rash, it seems to be gone now and not causing any other problems.

My DS started wearing his stainless steel one (I tried it first because it's a lot sturdier) one since Dec, and he started showing a rash in the area but I'm not sure if it's the bracelet because it seems to be on both wrists. When it started looking worse, I got him a sterling silver one as well, which was just a couple of weeks ago.

Then he seemed to have a reaction immediately after eating chicken! He loves chicken and eats it a lot with no problems, but this time, which was about 3 weeks ago, he started scratching his wrist quite badly right away. He's eaten it only twice since then - once no problems, and the other time I didn't notice the scratching, but his wrist did look especially red when I checked a couple of hours later.

So, I think I'll stay away from chicken for the next while until we go back to the allergists. Arrrgghhh. . .. hate adding more to the list of things we can't eat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Aw, I hope it was just something on the chicken.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:00 pm 

That's what I was hoping too, and it would only be if there was cross contamination in the plant, maybe from dairy or egg, I guess. . . . .because I'm really careful and it basically went from the vacuum pack onto a clean baking dish and I only used salt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:31 pm 

Could it be that it was due to the allergic response to the bracelet? (ie more histamine in his system?). I know that when my hayfever is quite bad I react more to cats, horses, etc...than usual. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:17 am 

Hmmm, totally possible. When I took his bracelet off last week because the area under it had been scratched raw, I put it around his ankle because I wanted to keep it on him and not lose it. Yesterday I noticed his ankle had a roundish rashy spot where the emblem sat, so he's definitely sensitive to this sterling silver bracelet. I may have to get him one of those sports bands, but the smallest one is still too big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:46 am 
Site Admin

Have you looked at the children's bracelettes? Our daughter had a sports band type when she was 3 and it fit fine. (she's average size but slender).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:20 am 

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear earlier, but that's what I meant when I mentioned sports band earlier. The smallest one is 5.5inches, which would fall right off his wrist. He's 2.5, but very petite and around the size of an 18mo old. In fact, his 4.5 in stainlesss steel one was a bit tight, so I ordered a 5 in sterling silver one, and he lost it yesterday because I guess it fell off at the park - oops.

I put the stainless (rash causing) one back on him yesterday as a temporary solution but his arm was red and raw looking within hours.

I will either have to order a 4.75 in silver one, if they'll make it that size, or get the child's sports band and get someone to resize it, as they've said they can't do it on that end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:47 am 
Site Admin

Paint it with clear nail polish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:19 pm 

Funny that you mention that Susan! I did that to my own watch band for years, until I found a hypoallergenic watch from Roots!

While it worked for me, I'm personally thinking that having nail polish (with all the chemicals in it) probably isn't the best thing to have against sensitive skin that is prone to eczema. . . . I don't know. I know there are healthier nail polishes out there without toulene (sp?), but probably still not healthy to have on my child's skin. . . . .