Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Tips for the host/ess...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Here's an article withtips for the host/ess on how to make it easier(safe) for those with food allergies. So, can I just e-mail this as part of my RSVP?

Quote:

1. Save every product label. This way, a guest can determine whether a dish contains an allergen.

2. Skip nuts if you know someone has a peanut allergy. Peanut oil and dust are easily spread and can cross-contaminate other foods.

3. Prevent cross-contamination by having a single container and a single serving utensil for each item. For instance, don't put chocolate-chip cookies and peanut-butter cookies on the same plate. Don't put fruit and cheese on the same platter.

4. Keep dishes simple. The more ingredients, the harder it is to determine whether an allergen is present.

5. Serve dressings and sauces on the side. Otherwise, fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables are good bets. So are beef, chicken and ham.

6. If you know guests who have allergies, talk with them in advance. They may help you discover easy substitutions. And don't be offended if they bring their own food. That's not uncommon among parents of children who have food allergies.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 91c40.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

So who's got hostessing stories to report from the holidays?
Any good experiences?

I survived the main relatives' pre-Christmas event reaction-free. Not even a hive. Yay. Only one dish I couldn't eat (major progress from days' past) and only one gift of chocolates that I can't eat. (Soy and alcohol. They were, however, peanut-free - so label reading was attempted.)

I cooked the big turkey on Xmas so that was certainly safe (and tasty, if I do say so). Now what I really need is a diet. Ate way too much.

Any tales from the holidays - good or not so?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:08 pm 

Good news to report here. Had the usualy gigantic Italian feast at my house Christmas Eve and although there were a couple of things my brother and I had to avoid we went first at the buffet to avoid any disasters from cross contamination (even though we have one utensil per dish, some people haven't mastered the skill of not touching the spoon to your dish/other food). Christmas Day was at my aunt's and that was fine too...she knows the drill and had all the labels of olive jars and preserves saved and the rest was home made so ok for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:51 pm 

holidays were really good for me. I cooked most the food - made wheat free bread and dessert even... a few people brought food with them but it was wheat free, as they all know of my allergies. there was no wheat among the food so I didn't have to worry about cross contamination. not even my milder allergies were present at the table. I am so incredibly sensitive to cross-contamination when it comes to wheat that I wouldn't even serve it at a buffet like that, not even if it was far far away! I was really happy my family could give up some stuff for me, although it was only one or two items...though in return they got homemade food so I guess it was a win win situation.

I cant tell you the relief that meant for me. It meant hours of preperation in terms of cooking (many many many hours....) but it was all worth it - especially since that meant no perservatives or junk. and it was all delicious! and zero reactions!

For new years it will be the same, I'll do the cooking but in return i get an allergen and worry free dinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:38 am 
Site Admin

I arrived early with my daughter and hubby followed Christmas Eve after work.
I'm glad I went early because mom (who usually gets it) bought her brown sugar anf cornstarch at the Bulk Barn (major risk of cross contamination).

I went out and purchased some safe ingredients for her.

Our daughter got the flu Christmas Eve around supper time so she really didn't eat much of anything. Glad to report no hives but boy was mom worried that our daughter was reacting to an allergen and not the flu.

I found that I was exhausted from being hypervigilant in a home that contains allergens. I don't know how families with more than one person having different food allergies do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:28 pm 

Things didn't go as planned here. We live hours away from both mine and DH's families and both families were holding xmas dinners that we planned to attend. My side is huge, about 50 people and the invites all said No Nut Products because of Kaden's allergies, and DH's parents had went out and bought only safe snacks so that we didn't have to worry so much (we planned to take his own food though). BUT, the night before we planned to leave, I was in an accident and of course I was driving the big 4x4 that we planned to take, and it was a write off, so we stayed home for xmas for the first time in years. So, besides the stress of trying to find a new vehicle over the holidays when everything is closed, I figured at least we wouldn't have to worry about the stress of what to feed Kaden while we were away. We have an allergy free upstairs but my 18 year old is allowed to eat unsafe food such as flavoured chips, cheese crackers, etc (but NO nut products) downstairs where Kaden can't go, and he has to wash up before coming upstairs. He is also a cook at a restaurant so he has been lectured to about cleaning up before he comes home. But as of last night he has been told no more unsafe food because Kaden had really bad hives last night all over his face after rubbing his face all over Tim's pants. After racking our brains tryin gto figure out what could have caused this reaction, we figure that Tim probably ate unsafe food and rubbed his hands off on his thighs, which is the height Kaden comes to on his pants. So we dosed Kaden up with Benedryl and kept him in bed with us, and none of us slept last night because Kaden was tossing and turning, talking in his sleep, asking for supper at 3am :? . Today he's fine, And then two days ago when I sat down to give Kaden his lunch he had a hivey rash covering the lower half of his face (this was the first time in weeks he had hives at home). I thought maybe DH had given him a red freezie or something so wiped him off and by the time he finished lunch the rash was gone. I put him in bed for nap and about an hour later heard him crying (unusual because he normally naps for about 3 hrs) and when I checked on him both he and the crib were covered in vomit. And for the next 3 hours he puked up everything until he was just puking up water. He is not a puker and the last time he had a virus and vomited, we ended up with him on IV and then sent to Children's Hospital 2 hrs away because our local hospital couldn't get a cathader in his little 13 month old ** and they had him bleeding. NOT something I ever want to go through again. I wasn't sure if this was related to the hives he had before lunch, or did he just have a short virus? During the 3 hours he was sick, he was still running around and laughing as though nothing was wrong, then he would just stop and throw up. By the last time it was just water, then he was fine. So I have no idea if this was a 3 hour virus (is that even possible?) or did Tim bring up contamination again. Just so frustrating trying to figure out the mystery reactions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Oh Diana, poor little Kaden :( I'm glad he's feeling better.
Betwen the accident, the reactions and the puke...2009 has got to be a better year!

I'm glad to hear that you're taking actions to keep the home environment safe for Kaden. I would suggest Tim change his clothes as soon as he gets home. Some allergens can become airborn in the cooking process. Could it be this that Kaden is reacting to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Hi Diana,

How trying - it's seems even more for you than Kaden. What a little trooper, running and laughing while sick as a dog.

Glad to hear he's feeling better. Hope you can figure out why the symptoms occurred. I agree with the extra precautions with the older boy, especially if little guy has a habit of hanging on and rubbing his face on the pants. This is then possible.

I hate to say it though: sometimes those of us with multiple allergies will have a mystery reaction. I had a significant one a year and a half ago that was totally perplexing; nothing out of the ordinary in what I ate but it began as I got off a plane. Maybe I'd been exposed to something onboard? Who knows. Haven't had any like that since. Fortunately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:24 pm 

We had a great Christmas. I baked many cookies and treats in advance of the holidays but the biggest thrill for my daughter was the Guardian angel Christmas cake we had on Christmas Eve. When we visited my Dad in Ottawa, I suggested that he pick up one for dessert at his place and he had no problem finding the cakes. What a great company! We hosted Christmas at home this year and tomorrow we will host a small brunch too. It is definitely easier to host. Our turkey this year was so good. We also brine our turkey now in advance and it is so juicy.

My daughter is also recovering from a bad cold. Sorry to hear about the reactions. Take care.
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Tell the guests you have a cat!

In the invitation I did put a blurb about advising me of any allergies so that I could take that into account when making the food. I never concidered that our cat might have beena problem :roll: .

I did offer Reactine to the one guest with a cat allergy and the cat was far too interested in the platter of smoked salmon to go near her.