You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: sesame allergy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:30 am 

Hi, I new to this group. I've had food testing back in the early 90's. All my allergic reactions are the delayed type. I tested allergic to all the grains except rice. I also tested allergic to soy, nuts, strawberries , milk and sweet potattoes. After 20 years of avoiding all these foods, I can finally have wheat, rye, cashews, walnuts (yeah!!!!!!!!), but I'm newly allergic to sesame seeds. Sesame seeds are in everything!

My question is: where can you purchase nuts and crackers in the US or Canada that haven't been processed in a facility that processes sesame seeds?

I started making may own bread with WW flour, water, salt, guava nectar and yeast. It's really good. I'll try rye flour next.

I was taking flax seed oil over the last month as a part of an enzyme therapy program, and found out I can't have it either. My reactions are very tight and painful shoulder and back muscles, brain fog, and fatigue. I'm having sunflower seeds, rape seeds, corn tested at Mayo presently.

Thanks for any incite. I truly feel for those of you who have immediate reactions to any of the invasive foods like wheat, soy, nuts, milk ,sesame, etc. Life is truly tough!

Lindagreen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Hi lindagreen, glad you found us. Our members are great at finding products that are safe to eat.

I'm going to move this post to the shopping thread because I'm hope that your question will be helpful to others as well.

You can use the search button near the top of the page (in the middle) to find discussions about avoiding sesame seeds.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:07 am 

I'm in Canada. I have found a few breads I can buy sesame free. But I don't know if they would be milk and soy free.

I buy Christie Crackers. Some of their brands do have sesame seeds, but they label for *may contain* if they run together. I haven't had any reactions from crackers since eating theirs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:00 pm 

Here are the only crackers I've found so far which don't list a may contain for sesame.

Christie Multigrain - Wheat Thins UPC -0 66721 02041 3 (Kraft product)

Ryvita Snackbread - UPC 0 78935 00507 0
* these for some reason are usually found with the bread and not the crackers. (lists a may conatin for milk) I found these at Sobey's and Walmart

Jacobs Cream Crackers - UPC 1 31260 74280 5
*The Jacob's Bakery Limited/England - I purchased at Sobey's

...and If you don't mind Mickey Mouse ears shaped mini crackers Complinents (Sobey's brand) has a sesame free cracker out. They come in a box and have 28g portion pack bags inside.
Compliments Junior - Mickey Bites

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:58 am 

Have you ever called to check the safety of ryveta? I haven't eaten that in years, but I never called.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:21 pm 

Hi, I've feed my son the Ryvita crackers with no problem. They aren't the most appealing crackers...a little like edible styrofoam....but he seems to like them. :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:12 pm 

Welcome! We deal with nut allergies here, too, so I don't know the answer to that but for crackers we use Nabisco Ritz and Nabisco Saltines and also an organic brand that i can't think of right now unfortunately. Not Nature's path but something kind of like that. (NOT Hain Celestial stuff.) We are in the USA.

We also use Weistminster crackers.