You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:36 pm 

Help! Does anyone have any idea what this reaction was about.......we went to the mall a couple days ago (not in one particular area but walking around the entire mall) and our son never left the stroller so I know he didn't touch anything or anyone. At first he started to sneeze every minute or two, we joked about it and called him sneazy, but within 10 minutes he was sneezing every couple minutes and his nose started to run (clear). Soon his nose began to run non-stop and we were starting to really wonder what was up. After being in the mall for less than a half hour we were shocked to see the change in his face. About the circular area of ski goggles around his eyes became all red, his eyes themselves were bloodshot and tears began streaming down his face, his nose wouldn't stop running and by this time the sneezing was literally non-stop to the point he was doubled over in the stroller. We left our shopping and walked as fast as we could back to the car. (past all the dirty looks shoppers were giving us as if we had brought our horribly sick toddler shopping).
The weird thing is that we were only back in the car 5 min. and we both realized he hadn't sneezed once and his face was clearing up. ??????????????

Could it be perfume pumped into the mall air this time of year? My husband and I both stopped wearing anything with a scent when our son was only a few months old due to his eczema (we didn't realize it was food allergies at the time). Out of habit we haven't worn any cologne or perfume since including laundry soap. Is it even possible to react that strongly to perfume.
The only past issue we've ever had with what I assume was the smell was in our dollar store. He sneezed and started to cough and we had to leave. Nothing like what happend this past week in our mall.
??????????????????????????????
help

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:20 am 

sounds lilke me! That happens to me at church, stores, malls and friends houses that wear perfume or have candles.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:25 am 
Site Admin

Poor little guy! You know, it could really be anything. It definately sounds more allergic reaction than asthma or eczema but to what? It depends on the stores you past, the shoppers, was there a food court?

Is the stroller one that you crought with you and if so did it come in contact with something in the car? Was it stored in the trunk? Was it a mall stroller? Could the previous family have eaten something your son is allergic to?

If the stroller is your own, I would wipe it down just to be sure it's OK.

I would avoid taking him to the mall until after the holidays.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:06 am 

We started by passing by the food court but that was where his 'reaction' so to say was the mildest. As we wandered the mall in general the reaction got worse and worse. We've been racking our brains to think of reasons also. We never entered any store which sells perfumed products body shop etc.. The stroller is ours, I won't use anything used for him because of his allergies. I lysol wipe it down every couple days and take the fabric off and wash it constantly.
Oddly enough yesterday I put hairspray on while he was sitting beside me on the carpet just outside our bathroom. He started sneezing instantly!!!! Could this be the start of an entirely new reaction genre? What is it called when you react to smells?

Selfishly I feel exasperated and upset (yet again) because if this continues to happen I now not only have to keep him from touching everything, eating everything and now smelling things???
Susan, do people outgrow this, how do you find out what smells trigger such a reaction...is this actually considered an allergy?
Also, I need to clarify with the allergist next month the gelatin thing. I decided to call the orajel company which makes the toddler toothpaste etc.. No gelatin is listed on the ingredients but something was bugging me. The Orajel rep. told me that if allergic to gelatin they would absolutely without question have to tell someone NOT to use any of their products. He is only 15 months so it isn't dire but just another thing i never thought of and one more thing which set me off. Toothpaste, I am terrified for him for every day of his life. The more allergies he has the more I am starting to have this constant mama's panic in me. To boot, the cold is also making his asthma worse again. I'll have to see exactly what if all gelatins we must avoid, what their differences are etc.. I picked up orange juice at the grocery store and realized fish and gelatin were listed. It was an enriched Omega 3 version! Something I never even would have thought to check except for the fact I'm becoming robotic about reading ingredient labels. Shows me to always check as I never ever would have thought of orange juice as a problem.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Susan, do people outgrow this, how do you find out what smells trigger such a reaction...is this actually considered an allergy?

It sounds like an allergy to me. Allergies can range from mild to severe (anaphylaxic). Because it started near the food court, I would wonder if one of his allergens was airborne.

You said you were going to the allergist next month, I would suggest you ask him/her.

I know someone in our local support group has a son with a gelatin allergy. I'll ask what type of toothpaste they use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Here is the response from the mother (who is a Pediatric Dentist):
Quote:
1) Definitely avoid orajel...I have found that theuy do have some
products with Gelatin (my son is allergic to it as well) Difficult to
know exactly which one. Orajel is not a company specializing in
toothpaste - they only make toddler toothpaste which has no great
benefit.

The recommandations for a 15 month old child for oral hygiene care are

1) A child should have his first visit to the dentist by then (around
12 months old) The dentist would evaluate the caries risk which is
dependant on family caries history, presence of defects of structure,
diet habits, oral hygiene habits, presence of fluoride water, etc

If the child is low risk to caries: In my practice at that age, he
should brush his teeth with only water till around age 3
If the child is high risk, his parents should use a fluoride
toothpaste for him. I recommand colgate, crest or oral B (gelatin
free) You can see the website below:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cg ... sonal+Care

It is a reputable website (nlm.nih is the big "bank" of health
scientific journals) It lists all the crest and colgate active and
non-active ingredients of different toothpaste including children's
toothpaste (with fluoride)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:55 am 

Thank you so much for the website link, it's amazing. Although ingredients and products can change at any time the info. available on the site is amazing. You are able to look up products by name/category or by specific ingredients themselves. .....I'm trying to find craft pom pom's right now on it!!

Here's an odd one for you...our son got a hold of a large craft pom pom. I took it away when he stated to suck on it. Within a minute of putting it into his mouth he had broken out in huge hives. The hives went away with Benedryl but all I can wonder is 'what the heck is in pom poms??'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:40 pm 

If he has not reacted before at the mall, could it be the seasonal decor? Many stores have live greenery (garlands, trees, poinsettias)...my daughter is allergic to pine, though not so badly. Worth bring up at the allergists office next time.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:52 pm 

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday (allergy incident free).
Here's my latest question if anyone happens to know.....is gelatin released into soup stock from meat bones??? If so, could this be enough gelatin to cause a reaction? I know fat comes out but does actual gelatin release also?
We think we figured out yesterday why our son won't eat certain home made soups. He is a very nervous eater (even at his age he must know to some extent that food makes him sick) for months now he always carefully licks and smells his food every single time he eats the first bite of anything. He took one lick of his spoon yesterday (home made turkey soup) and freaked. I tried to force a few more bites when his mouth was open (ok open because he was wailing) and he spewed everything out. It was just turkey soup with his favorites, carrots, celery and egg free noodles. No spices, no other ingredients. What we wondered is if by simmering turkey bones for hours if gelatin comes out. After thinking he was just being a picky eater I felt awful as he developed a red rash around his mouth. Thinking back the same happened the last time we made soup for him. There were no hives but he did get an itchy red rash on his neck. Luckily he never swallowed any of the soup but by him freaking and trying to push it away he had smeared it all over his face and in his hair.
When he tastes the first bite and licks the spoon I wonder if he instantly can tell in his mouth that something makes him feel weird. I don't even know if it is possible for the gelatin to come out but as soon as I gave him his own veggies from the freezer I've pre steamed (carrots and celery) he ate no problem. HHmmmmmm???? Also If I make him quick soup and use only celery, carrot and onion with no 'bone stock' he eats it no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure it is. When we cook any meat with a joint in it, the juices gel when it cools.

According to Wikipedia
Quote:
Gelatin is a protein produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from the bones, connective tissues, organs, and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, and horses. The natural molecular bonds between individual collagen strands are broken down into a form that rearranges more easily. Gelatin melts when heated and solidifies when cooled again. Together with water, it forms a semi-solid colloid gel.

I suppose you can make a broth from just the meat with no bones in it. It won't have the same flavour or texture but it would be safer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:25 pm 

I feel like our lives are and endless cycle of unknown reactions. I assume today was from some type of contact as it was different from his food reactions. We'd been at home, he had been wearing the same pants for hours, I don't use any perfumed detergents, no soap in the tub for him etc..

I noticed him starting to scratch his legs like crazy. Not knowing why I put him into the tub in case some unknown reason was causing his scratching. He scratched so much I took him out of the tub and by this time his legs were bright red and his thighs were covered in huge masses of hives. His neck/back/stomach were rash/hive free. He did have red around his eyes (eyelids and eyebrow area) and he had a red rash and scratched on his cheeks near his ears - but no hives on his face.
Even after benedryl it seemed to take longer than normal for the hives to go away. He's never had hives specific to his legs before.
Any ideas?????????? I can't wait until he is old enough to talk and explain how he feels. The unknown is the worst part at this age. Until there are physical symtoms I have no way of knowing if he's unwell. Not that I want him to have reactions when older but it is so extra scary with a toddler. II don't know how long he's been feeling unwell and having symptoms of a reaction before I notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

I see from your signature he has eczema. Do you think the rash could be from this? (The hives could be a response to the scratching).
When are you scheduled to see the allergist again?

Here is the link to the Allergy Asthma Information Associations information on hives.
It sounds like what they refer to as Acute Uticaria
http://aaia.ca/en/hives.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:14 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
I feel like our lives are and endless cycle of unknown reactions. I assume today was from some type of contact as it was different from his food reactions. We'd been at home, he had been wearing the same pants for hours, I don't use any perfumed detergents, no soap in the tub for him etc..

I noticed him starting to scratch his legs like crazy. Not knowing why I put him into the tub in case some unknown reason was causing his scratching. He scratched so much I took him out of the tub and by this time his legs were bright red and his thighs were covered in huge masses of hives. His neck/back/stomach were rash/hive free. He did have red around his eyes (eyelids and eyebrow area) and he had a red rash and scratched on his cheeks near his ears - but no hives on his face.
Even after benedryl it seemed to take longer than normal for the hives to go away. He's never had hives specific to his legs before.
Any ideas?????????? I can't wait until he is old enough to talk and explain how he feels. The unknown is the worst part at this age. Until there are physical symtoms I have no way of knowing if he's unwell. Not that I want him to have reactions when older but it is so extra scary with a toddler. II don't know how long he's been feeling unwell and having symptoms of a reaction before I notice.

That just sucks! :( And I can completely sympathize. When my sons were little, I felt very much the same way. It was scary. I felt helpless, and various doctors were of very little help. The good news is that we did eventually get a handle on their allergies/eczema/asthma and the mystery reactions are now few and far between (although we do still get them occasionally), and it does get easier when they can talk about their symptoms.
It turned out that for us, my son has physical urticaria...which means that things like extremes of temperature, stress and pressure can cause reactions along with all the environmental and food allergies. Talk about complicated! I felt like I had to be Sherlock Holmes to get to the bottom of his reactions, and it was so scary not knowing how worried to be when he started breaking out in hives, always wondering if it was going to turn into anaphylaxis.
Keeping a diary of everything he ate, wore, did etc. on the days he had reactions was very helpful. It helped us to see patterns over time, that we wouldn't have otherwise noticed.
Good luck. I hope your son feels better soon and that you're able to get to the bottom of some of these reactions.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:42 pm 

The full article "Vaccine Reactions - MMR" has just been added to AL's website archive. The article mentions gelatin as a possible cause to reactions.

This is the link to the article: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=251

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Josh! :)