You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: bad news/good news
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:18 am 

I became concerned that my 10 year old has asthma. There was no big flashing neon sign -- more like the twinkling christmas lights -- but I took him to the GP who also felt there was enough to warrant a referral. He saw the allergist last month, and he started by re-doing the allergy tests. Two years ago ds tested negative to everything (only the histamine scratch showed anything) -- but he was reacting to cats, and grass during the spring and fall. During last months testing, one scratch was swelling and itchy immediately -- and a second was swelling and itchy within a few minutes.

After about 20 minutes, the doctor came back and there was still just the two wheals -- the histamine didn't swell or itch or go red. The allergist asked how quickly he reacted to cats and how bad the reaction was. He said it is a *bad allergy* based on the description -- but it was also the smaller wheal. :shock: The big one (and therefore probably worse allergy) was mold. I'm guessing what appeared to me as a grass allergy was probably the mold in the grass.

The doctor does feel they are both severe allergies because he didn't even react to the histamine at all.

He also felt there are enough signs of asthma to get the testing done. It was done this week, but I won't get the results until late next month. (allergist is away)

But the good news is ------ the principal told me she has some meeting about the "no child without" and we should be able to register our kids within a few weeks.

Talk about good timing. :lol:

More good news -- still no food allergies (which I didn't suspect, but it's still nice to have it confirmed in the test).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:40 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Two years ago ds tested negative to everything (only the histamine scratch showed anything) -- but he was reacting to cats, and grass during the spring and fall. During last months testing, one scratch was swelling and itchy immediately -- and a second was swelling and itchy within a few minutes.

Maybe he had weak samples in the past? It just goes to show that a mother intuition is often correct.

Asthma makes the allergies that much worse.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:12 pm 

What really gets me though, is that this time there was nothing from the histamine. The doctor said he would have said the test didn't work if those two hadn't shown up.

But then, testing was never *normal* for me either. I once got wheals from almost all the scratches -- and I know I am not allergic to a lot of things. Twice I tested negative even to what I am allergic to.

And I thought kids were usually outgrowing asthma by his age -- not developing it. My family is just to weird. :oops: