You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:06 pm 

Thanks Gwen and AL. As with the previous letter-writing campaign, it is well thought out and well written. Something I can fully support.

I have posted a link on another allergy forum, as well as on my Facebook page. (At least, I think it's there -- I'm still not very good with FB.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:24 am 
Site Admin

AnnaMarie, Lisa, Susan ...

You women are great!
Thanks so much for your efforts. It will really help. G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:04 pm 

It's a great initiative! I mentioned this campaign on my website dedicated to food allergies. I hope that many of my readers will send letters (although most of them are francophone).

Once again, bravo for taking the lead on this important matter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Marie-Josée - milles fois merci for spreading the word about the campaign, and for your kind words. Nice to meet you!!

Lisa, due to popular demand - including your suggestion :) - we've upped the goal to 1,500. So half way there. 750 letters and growing ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:41 am 

It was only about 650 when I posted. That's a lot in one day. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Now over 800 letters - that is really good.

In Canada, 800 customers is a lot of people to hear from. Anyone who can still help us push it to 1,000, please do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:12 pm 

Great initiative! I sent an e-mail to many of my friends by e-mail last week and got a lot of "I did it" and many also forwarded the e-mail to their own list of friends... it's easy to reach so many people in so little time by e-mail :P Being that my friends know that my allergies are what's keeping me from flying, it was really easy to convince them to participate.

Can't wait to see the results! :P :P

Mylène... still dreaming of flying again :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:59 pm 

A friend of the family sent it to all of his employees (owns his company). They really came through for me when I tried the labelling petition on my own so I'm sure they were/are going to be big contributors. Also, notice is officially up at my aunt's daycare and still waiting to think of other ideas :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:07 am 

Hi Mylene, <waving>

Nice to see you again. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Over 900 letters. :D

In case you wondered; at AL we decided it would be more impressive to print off all the letters and comments and send them to Air Canada and WestJet. Those have just gone out the door to the airline CEOs.

We'll do a second, third round as needed. Will let you know what response we get from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Also, got this interesting, encouraging message this a.m. :

Quote:
Hi Allergic Living,
I am a flight attendant and I have forwarded this to a colleague with a large emailing list. I am encouraging my fellow flight attendants to also support this very important cause.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:15 pm 

That is cool.

I have a question. The previous write-in campaign, when I sent my letter to the PM, there was a copy sent to my outlook in the *sent file*. Then, I received a form letter response from the PM's office.

This time, nothing appeared in my sent box. Is that because you opted to print and send hard copies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

AM, that's odd - I got the webmaster to check and your letter was received.

The system was set up to send an e-mail copy of the letter to the person who signs up. Don't know why yours didn't arrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Everyone - we're at 949 letters - any of you who might still have a few people you can tell? Would be significant (statisically speaking) to put us over 1,000.

In case you want to copy/paste, here is the letter that AL sent to its subscriber and e-letter registrants:

Airlines and Allergies:
Reduce-the-Risk Campaign

Dear Friends,

Allergic Living magazine has launched an online write-in campaign to the two major Canadian airlines – Air Canada and WestJet.

The purpose? To request that Canada’s top airlines develop clear, consistent, communicated policies on food allergies that include a few measures to prevent dangerous in-flight reactions.

To gain the airlines’ interest, they need to receive great numbers of letters. So we need your help. Please take five minutes – and take part in the campaign at www.allergicliving.com (see the green box, upper right).

Facts to consider:
– An aircraft, flying thousands of feet in the air, presents a unique and confined environment, beyond reach of a hospital.
– Nut snacks are commonly consumed aboard aircraft (often carried on by other passengers). There is a higher chance of accidental exposure to top allergens such as tree nuts, peanuts and sesame aboard a plane than in any other public environment – except for a baseball park.
– A recent U.S. study shows about 10 per cent of those with food allergies are having in-flight reactions. Better precautions would reduce reaction rates.
– The number of people living with food allergies has grown significantly in the past decade, representing an increasing segment of the flying public.

Your participation in this write-in effort is urgently needed. Again, you may take part at www.allergicliving.com Please make your voice heard, and thank you for your support.

Regards,
Gwen Smith

Editor, Allergic Living
editor@allergicliving.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:41 pm 

I copy & pasted the entire letter as a note on facebook. It should show up on people's newsfeeds that way. And even those not directly dealing with food allergies might see it and join in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next