You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:56 pm 

Ok so the same thing happened in the tub tonight. I even rinsed the tub before running the water and the water is not too hot. I wonder if it could be residue left from our daughter's bubble baths or shampoo (she did have a bubble bath last night) ?? I'll have to call tomorrow and first double check that there aren't any nut oils etc. in the products and if not then his reactions are most likely to the added perfume.

He does get his next vaccine in a couple weeks. Even thought this one isn't supposed to have any egg or gelatin I'm still freaked out. I'm asking for the skin prick you supplied me with the info on Susan.
He's re-tested the end of next week so we'll see.............................fingers crossed thre are no more additions to his allergy list. It's awful when I have to list them off for someone and it takes me a moment to remember them all.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:17 pm 

I thought we were on the right track when our son tested negative last week for gelatin. So although I was told it is very rare it was felt that the MMR vaccine reaction was to the egg component. Our allergist gave the ok for the chicken pox vaccine and the last part of the infant vaccine to be given. So today at the dr. we were expecting the best but prepared for the worst just in case. The nurse measured the epinephrine out into a syringe just in case.. and good thing. Literally within seconds our son reacted.
The only vaccine he received today was the chicken pox vaccine and the only ingredient in it which should cause such a reaction is the gelatin component (no egg component). Hours later once home I called the allergists office and asked if a false negative was possible. I was told it almost never happens but then anything is possible.
So here I sit eating chocolate right beside the crib as my son finally sleeps terrified of a secondary reaction. Has anyone else had a false negative on a skin prick test?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

I'm so sorry! I hope you get some rest tonight.
I have heard of false reactions with certain seafood (forget which ones).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:09 am 

Thank goodness for Vadeboncoeur Chocolate :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:56 pm 

I am a little panic sticken myself right now. As our son's pea legume allergy is so mild the allergist suggested we start re-introducing bean legumes then pea legumes. I gave him green beans starting with a nibble and working my way up to a few bites last week with no reaction. Today I thought I'd try green peas. Oh my god, I swear if he'd actually swallowed them it would have been without a doubt epipen time. I only gave him two peas, he chewed them and after a few seconds he spit them out. He then began rubbing his tongue on his hands...his mouth must have gone tingly. I took him out of the highchair and he began to vomit several times as I held him. Before I could even clean up the floor his neck, entire stomach, back, ears in and out, his cheeks, all went red and he was covered in hives.
As an infant peas only gave him a couple hives around his mouth and a tiny red rash about his mouth, and that was after eating a couple spoonfulls. I called the allergist and they said pea legumes are now totally off limits but to stick with green beans as he tolerated them with no issue. It really scared me today as I was expecting at worst a small rash on his lips or one hive. This totally threw me off and freaked me out, why are his allergies getting stronger and stronger????
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 am 

Oh my gosh - how scary! I'm so sorry that it doesn't seem to be getting better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Wow, that is very scary! Glad the little guy is OK.

Some allergies lessen over time and you can even out grow them, others get more severe. It used to be thought that avoiding the allergen completely was necessary to outgrow the allergy. That each time it was introduced, the body primed itself. Now there is some evidence to the contrary.

Indeed there is much conflicting information and it's very hard to know what to think.

The category of "Legumes" is very large and it is possible to be allergic to some but not all. If your son tollerates green beans, then that's great. My daughter can tollerate green beans, yellow wax beans and frozen vegetables that include peas and lima beans (although she won't eat those) and soy.

Our allergist has decided that we are not to introduce any more legumes unless he does a skin prick test first. You may wish to discuss a similar plan with your allergist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:49 pm 

I tried eggplant tonight and he reacted after one spoonful which he spit out. He loves zucchini so it never even crossed my mind eggplant would cause a reaction. Ok, so red colouring ,green peas, meat, and now eggplant!!!! What is going on with my poor little guy. If he reacts to eggplant it makes me very worried about other nightshade veggies..potato/tomato etc.. ! We seem to be eliminating food after food. It never even crossed my mind eggplant would cause such a reaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that eggplant contains histamine...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:33 pm 

I am just reading up on histamine now. I feel foolish but out of all the hundreds of things I've looked up with regards to our son's allergies histamine has never been something that's come up. I of course know what an antihistamine is but somehow I never really connected it to 'histamine'. I'm still a little puzzled so I'll keep reading.
I see that eggplant is referred to as a veg. with high histamine...are most people with food allergies also allergic to foods with high histaimine. I've never been told to avoid them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:23 am 
Site Admin

Don't beat yourself up! You are doing your best for your son.

What? You expect yourself to know the scientific name and chemical break down of every food on the planet? You're human.

Did you know that almost every anaphylaxic reaction our daughter had was at home? That's where she eats most of the time, that's where she's ntroduced to new foods.

We are very careful and even so, in her 7 years she's had 6 anaphylaxic reactions.
Not to mention that her latest asthma attack was probably brought on because I didn't recalculate her prescription refill to take into account that we had doubled up her dose quite a bit in December and January and she's probably been using an empty pufer for a month! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:10 am 

I never imagined food was so complicated. Before our son I can't recall if I even ever read an ingredient label, now I'm deciphering compounds and plant species :wink: . What made me laugh is I found a page on histamine last night which was easier to understand, then I noticed the title was for a school curriculum and marked grade 3. Ah, that gave me a chuckle. Hey, if it helps!!

I keep a cup taped to our kitchen backsplash and have an epipen right inside it. That way where I feed him I am only an arm's length away from the epipen. His reactions severe and mild , I'm becoming accustomed to dealing with and my robot mode sets in. I find that what I feel is irritation now afterwards towards food, just a feeling of 'are you kidding me...this too'.
I am thankful for so many things with regards to his allergies and I must remind myself of that all the time. He's a tough little guy and still easy going as ever.
Thanks Susan!! I hope your daughter is back to normal today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:48 am 

Are you working with a nutritionist? When my kids were small I was referred to the Nutrition clinic in St. Pauls (Vancouver). They might be able to give you good info, also a Dr. named Janice Jonega started that clinic and she has some books out. I heard her talk and she was very good, and she had a VERY allergic kid (who is now about 35), so she has been through what you are going to. She lives somewhere in the interior near Kamloops.