You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Today’s edition of the Globe & Mail ran an article about Allergic Living and our airline lobby campaign and it is very favourable. :)

Here is the link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... andHealth/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Admin

It's a great column - and André P. has clout because he's such a well-regarded medical writer. He gets the medical issues and that these are "reasonable" concerns.

He also adds some interesting thoughts to the debate:

Quote:
And surely doing away with the distribution of salty snacks entirely - or, better still, offering travellers a bit of fresh fruit instead - would not cause airlines any great hardship.

The oft-stated argument that doing so would be unfair to other customers beggars belief as these same airlines have managed to do away with other "staples" such as pillows, blankets and leg room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:14 pm 

That was such a great article! After reading nasty comments from non-allergic people in other articles it is nice to be publicly defended and to have the rest of the world know we are not asking for something that is impossible or that would have a negative impact on them. I, too, enjoyed the part about offering fresh fruit instead of salty snacks...after all, most people are more health-conscious these days!

I contacted the Gazette but they just don't seem interested in listening to me about this story....Gwen, maybe you know someone here in Montreal? I'd love for the word to be spread here too and the Gazette has a lot of readership.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

I commented!
Quote:
I want to congratulate the Globe & Mail for writing an informative article on the difficulties facing those affected by food allergies and for not stooping to the sensational tactics that other newspapers and magazines have been of late.
As a mother of a child with severe and life threatening food allergies I see first hand how difficult it is ta manage in a world where the very food you eat can cause serious and severe consequences.
As Andre Picard states, "the write-in campaign is asking the airlines to develop clear, consistent and articulated policies on allergies to minimize the risk of in-flight reactions." we are not asking for passengers to go without eating, we are not asking them to give up any rights in anyway. We are simply asking the airlines to create policies that minimize the risk of in-flight reactions. This will ensure a smooth uneventful flight for all passengers.

I chose to ignore the narrow minded individuals who wish to argue whether this issue exsists or not (I'm practicing the scerentiy prayer this year). Instead I congratulated the paper on a well written and informative article.

Don't forget to recommend the article as well, I think that gets it picked up as a popular article and it gets distributed further...something like that isn't it Gwen?
To recommend the article click the button found at the bottom of the article justbelow the link that takes you to the comments. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:10 pm 

I ran to get the paper yesterday. Great article. I needed to read something positive after I spoke to someone "with allergies" and they were not as positive as I would have liked.
To have this mentioned in a positive manner in a widely read paper is great. (If I am not mistaken the picture is of people on a train! :shock: Note windows and seats)
Too funny, anyway great article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Lisa, I used to know a health writer at the Gaz - but she's no longer there.

Maybe try the City Desk and ask for the health reporter. That person would work Mon.-Fri.

And Paige, yes, I noticed the train, too. oops. That's the art dept's fault, a writer doesn't even get to see what they're using. Someone needs to update the photo filing system ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:33 pm 

I, like most of us passed this article with the write in campaign link on to everyone I know. I received a phone call from a friend who was busy at the time getting her family packed as they were leaving in the morning for Disneyworld. My friend had read the email and called me as she said she had to come clean. She told me that before she read my email she had packed peanut butter sandwiches for her family to eat on the flight. She wanted me to know that she was going to the store to buy luncheon meat to take instead of the pb&J sh'e packed. She told me all she could picture was our son's face each time she opened the fridge and saw the sandwiches. She had been at our house when our son at six months old had a reaction to peanut trace. She said all she could picture was his little face all red and swollen up and covered in hives.
I thanked her on behalf of every allergic person and parent of an allergic child.
Many people might roll their eyes at me but a true friend will always shine through.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

That's a lovely story. She's a great friend.