You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: High risk infant
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:46 pm 

I have a 5 month old daughter at home. I am currently solely breastfeeding her.

I have anaphylactic allergies to tree nuts, tree fruits and molds, etc...

I recently have also been diagnosed with allergies towards any mold or ragweed food byproducts. Which include, gluten, rice, potatoes, corn etc... I still eat these items as they (at this point) are not life threatening to me. If I cut them out I will have nothing left to eat.

My daughter’s weight gain has been slow and I am thinking that may be caused by a reaction to something that I am eating. I am hoping that she does not have food allergies. Although I know given my history that is highly unlikely.

The baby’s dr is uncertain how to proceed at this point and wants to introduce infant cereal into her diet to increase the weight gain. However I am nervous to do so because all of the cereals are rice or oat based.

Do you have any suggestions may help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know a lot about infant formulas but could you introduce a milk based formula? Is there anything in that that your child or you can't have?

Is she nursing well? Can you increase your fat intake so that your breastmilk has a higher fat concentration?

Have you spoken to a dietician?

We started with barley but I'm not certain what base that is.

Why don't you make a list of all of the foods which you currently eat and feel she's tolerating. Maybe you Dr and you can pick one of those to start with. From what I have read they just don't encourage starting with a sweet fruit so that the baby will try other flavours. (Don't they know how sweet breast milk is?)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:46 pm 

In addition to slow growth rate, does she show signs of intolerance to your breastmilk? Vomiting, diarrhea, rashes? If she does, then it may well be something you are eating.

I posted earlier about my same experience - my 6 month old daughter was 10 lbs, sickly with terrible skin. Turns out she has multiple food allergies - the big culprits being milk and eggs. Once I cut those out of my diet, its been a huge difference in her behaviour and her appearance. She's still tiny (15 lbs at 15 months old) but she's healthy.

If you suspect allergies, I would start with cutting out milk and eggs and wheat because while she could in theory be reacting to anything, its most realistically something that you eat significant amounts of. For most people, dairy is the culprit.

Post subject: Re: High risk infant
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:51 pm 

First of all I say continue breastfeeding for as long as you possibly can. I breastfed my allergic son for 4 years. He is much healthier than his allergic father was when he was a young child.
Unfortunately your daughters is at moderate risk of developing food allergies herself.
The good news is that just because you are allergic to a certain food, doesn't mean that your daughter will be allergic to the same things. My husband and son both have food allergies, but they aren't the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:42 pm 

small weight gain is only one of the symptoms of food allergy in infants.

how is babys health otherwise? any other signs of allergic disease?

there is a slightly higher chance of a baby developing allergies if the mother has them, slighlty less if its the father.
however if both parents have any atopic disease then the risk is high.

its quite possible that your children will not have any food allergies, and i have met two mothers who have severe food allergies, and their children have no allergies.

I have four children, and only have one child with food allergies, given the mix of my, and my hubbys atopic list,we have been very lucky.

can you give more details about your childs health?
and more importantly your health?
how do you think breastfeeding is going?