You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:36 pm 

Our 12 year old's basketball coach had no idea about her allergies because the p.e. teacher had not given the medical forms or contact info to the coach.

Thankfully she has friends on the team who would have known but it really concerns me not just for my child but for others.

Do you know what the requirements are for teams? Would you say anything?? And if so, what?

We think we will simply write and ask why they were not given and express our concern. It is not the first time this p.e. teacher has been ignorant. He shoved candy into her hand just weeks after her diagnosis of nut allergies! Thankfully I was there and addressed it.

Thank you for any input. As a newbie on this forum I am avidly reading!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Walooet, first welcome to the forum! I'm sorry that you're having such difficulty with you daughters school. Is it a public school?

Manitoba passed Bill 232 October 6Th, 2008
Quote:
(Assented to October 9, 2008)

HER MAJESTY, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba, enacts as follows:

C.C.S.M. c. P250 amended

1 The Public Schools Act is amended by adding the following before the centred heading before section 48:

ANAPHYLAXIS

Anaphylaxis policy

47.3 Each school board must develop an anaphylaxis policy to meet the needs of pupils who have diagnosed anaphylaxis. The policy must also meet any requirements prescribed by regulation under The Education Administration Act.

Consequential amendment, C.C.S.M. c. E10

2 The Education Administration Act is amended by adding the following after clause 4(1)(o):

(o.1) respecting the framework of a school board's anaphylaxis policy, and requirements to be contained in it;

Coming into force

3 This Act comes into force on a day to be fixed by proclamation.
http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/2008/c04608e.php

So, the school board should have a policy regarding anaphylaxis. Do you have an individual policy with her school? It should clearly state who is informed of your daughters condition and who is trained on emergency proceures, how often this training occurs and by whom.

It's been my experience that reality is slow to catch up with legislation. the schools are on a learning curve. By all means, make sure that the coach(and anyone else into whose care she is trusted) is aware of her allergies, what needs to be avoided and what to do if a reaction should occur. But follow up with the school to ensure there is a plan to diseminate information.

Expect hic-cups the first year and deal with them as positively as possible.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:41 pm 

Thank you for reminding me about the law passed - that was actually my MLA! Her children go to a school that is deemed nut-free and peanut-free.

The school is not the problem here - it is the P.E. teacher. The school has been great, very understanding and helpful. They have dealt with incidents of unsafe food quickly. It is a public school that is nut safe. With each lunch supervisor watching 60 to 80 students in 3 classrooms it is very difficult to have it "nut free" but nuts are not allowed to be eaten.

I will check the divisional policy - thanks for the suggestion!

update --- the coach called tonight to apologize. The p.e. teacher had the medical forms on his desk :shock: but the coach felt badly she had not asked for them. I think the onus was on the p.e. teacher because he was aware of the severity of my daughter's allergies. Still have not heard from the p.e. teacher... I did not send my letter to the Principal but the coach told him. He is likely shocked I did not send it to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:02 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The school is not the problem here - it is the P.E. teacher

You need to make the principal aware so that he/she can deal with the issue. As the person responsible for ensuring that the policies are carried out, it's his/her neck on the line if something should go wrong.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:10 pm 

Turns out the letters we wrote to the p.e. teacher and coach were not delivered which I found out today.

So more kudos to the coach for calling last night to apologize for not having the medical forms. She has already informed the Principal.

There have been many complaints against this P.E. teacher (not the coach who happens to be a teacher too). Very frustrating!