You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:30 pm 

Hi there,

I wanted to say hello before I lurked too much ;). I'm Mommy to my son Ben who is almost 2 1/2, and allergy free that we know of, and my 8 month old daughter Jasmine who has so far been diagnosed as allergic to dairy, eggs and peanuts on the first round of the skin test. We've known about the dairy since introducing foods at 6 months -- hives upon any skin contact with dairy - but the others we just discovered last week.

I have a suspicion that sesame may well be on her list too based on her reaction when I eat sesame. I'm still nursing, so I too have gone dairy, egg and nut free.

I have now decided to accept that clearly the allergist we saw was only there to diagnose, because the resources provided in how to ummm ... LIVE... with allergies day to day were non-existent. His recommendation was to just make sure she just never comes in contact with dairy, egg or peanut...and "oh -by the way, here's your epipen prescription" Thanks buddy. thanks a lot.

THANK goodness for places like this. I've already mastered vegan chocolate cake

:lol: , and look forward to learning a whole lot more about labeling, eating out, and how to live a full fun life with my kids despite Jazz's allergies.

so hello!!!

ps -- I promise to not always be so long winded!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Nice to have you as a member!

Sorry to hear about her diagnosis. If you're able to nurse, I'd suggest you keep that up as long as you're able to. You might want to discuss possible formula options for when she does wean.

Some allergist give too much information and some not enough. It can be quite over whelming.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:12 pm 

Hi ther,
My daughter reacted to foods before she had ever eaten them while I was brestfeeding her. Milk was the biggest one. Looking back I wished i'd introduced formula as well as breastfeeding because now she is almost two and our food options are limited. I add oil to her rice milk and I still brestfeed. But rice milk is almost devoid of protein so its not the best thing for her. She gets calcium, vitamin d and omega three from the canola oil. I tried Alimentum and neo-cate but since she would only take the first sip then refuse the rest I gave up. I wished that I had persisted. Does you doctor have a nurse? Sometimes they have more time to answer questions and give tips than the doctor.

Evelyne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

If she tolerates soy, why aren't you giving her that type of milk? Just wondering.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:40 pm 

She cannot have soy yet. In February she gets a food challenge for soy. Cross your fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boogyshoes - welcome. Like your username :)

Quote:
the resources provided in how to ummm ... LIVE... with allergies day to day were non-existent.

I relate to this. With adult-onset allergies, I felt a bit daunted by how one adapted to food restrictions and stayed safe while eating out, travelling, grocery shopping. It's for exactly the "living" part of allergies (whether as a parent or an allergic adult) that we started the magazine and this site.

Have a look around in the Archive of articles and recipes, as well as this Forum. You'll probably see lots of interest.

Though as Susan usually wisely counsels, don't try to take it all in at once. The flip side of not enough info is information overload.