You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:30 pm 

Ok i know i'm not the only one faced wtih this problem, so i thought i would put a question out for you all.

My son had a peanut challenge at the start of the month..passed..hospital supplied the peanut butter. BUT>>>they don't supply any of the other foods we have to challenge.

So i get a call from the allergist yesterday, there was a cancellation for a food challenge on Tuesday..do we want it for my son? We had booked him for five more challenges but the earliest we could start booking was in April. So i jumped at the opportunity and took the app't time. Well, since the last challenge i have been looking all over town for different types of tree nuts since we will be challenging them all, reading ingredients.

Each and every box, bag, bin has this warning on it, "may contiain other tree nuts", or "may contain traces of other tree nuts". :roll: I am sooo frustrated. Even the nuts in the shells have these warnings. So i asked the lady at the allergist office where do i find nuts without warning and she says,"you are the first to ask, i dunno". :shock: then she proceeds to say, "ya know what? I have a big bag of mixed nuts unopened from christmas. They have almonds in them, in the shell you can use them". Well, i'm thinking, isn't there a chance of cross contamination? I mean if it's rolling around with other nuts, the shells of the almonds could have residue on them and once i crack the nut, it could get on the almond.. I don't want to risk the chance of messing up the results of this food challenge because of cross contamination.

So my question to you is...anyone know where i can find individual nuts..almonds, walnuts etc.. that don't have warnings on them?

I was thinking of the bulk food store. They had unroasted almonds there and the ingredinets said, "may contain peanut"..which we now don't have to worry about. But there is a cross contamination risk too since their nuts are in bins. But i figured maybe if i don't use the scoops provided it may be ok. Oh i dunno.

Maybe i'm just thinking too hard about this, and should just buy something off the shelf warning or not. I'm sure others have run into this problem too.

I believe in the power of prayer. If you have time, could you pls say a prayer for my son NIcholas on Tuesday. That he may remain safe during this food challenge.

It's such a scarey yet exciting time for us. I know we must do this to get definite answers but man it's scarey to go through. You'd think i would be a little more relaxed being that he's been challenged before. So far it doesn't feel any easier.

Suzanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a thread about this very same concern.
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1912

BTW-I'm moving this thread to the shopping forum.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:25 pm 

Thanks for the info. I think i will by almonds in the shell and just wash them really well with hot soapy water before cracking them open.

Suzanne