You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:22 pm 

My daughter has not eaten much chocolate since we found out she was allergic to peanuts/tree nuts and sesame. I've given her the Dare Bear Paws but she just doesn't like them. I think it's time for me to start baking my own chocolate chip cookies/muffins, etc so she has more variety. She can only eat so many butter cookies!

Which chocolate products have you used that are safe for peanut allergies? I scanned a few packages of chocolate chips at the grocery store but when I saw that most companies also sell peanut butter chips, I just backed off that section. thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

We use President's Choice Decadent Chocolate chips. We even make Easter chocolates with them.
This year we're going to try chocolate covered cherries!

We also use Fry's Cocao

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:12 am 

I have always used Hershey's chocolate chipits and have never had an issue. The ph# on the bag is 1-800-468-1714.
Ing. Semi-sweet chocolate(sugar, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, milk ingredients, soy lecithin, artificial flavour)
I have eaten them by the handful :oops:
My allergy is peanut, tree nut, coconut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:28 pm 

My allergiest are peanuts and sesame seeds -- I also completely avoid nuts.

I use PC or Hershey. Read the labels though -- some Hershey have nuts, some have a nut warning, some are safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:10 pm 

I too have an allergy to all nuts and use the PC Decadent chips and chunks...they are great. Sometimes I melt them in the microwave and make a "nutella" spread for bread...it takes really good :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:24 pm 

Thank you for your replies! I did call the President's Choice# and they did confirm that their decadent chips (even the white chocolate ones, yum!) are nut/peanut free. I'm still a little nervous about it, but thanks to your reassurances, I will try it out in my baking!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:00 am 

I have actually never used PC or Hersey's because when I called the company I was told they were NOT made in a peanut or nut-free facility but to read the labels for the may contain warnings and if there was no warning then they were 'safe'. I was confused by this so have avoided them.

I use only the Enjoy Life Brand chocolate chips which are delicious and have sometimes used the Ener-G brand. Both are from dedicated nut-free facilities and are also free of other allergens (soy, dairy, gluten, etc.) which I have to watch for too. Both of these companies have websites where you can find where to buy the products.

Parent of 3 year old anaphylactic to peanut and tree nuts, allergic to coconut, peas, soybean, eggs, cats/dogs, seasonal allergies and has asthma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:37 am 

I regularly bake with Hershey's Chipits - milk chocolate, mint chocolate and semi-sweet.
I've trusted their labelling (after confirming their policies) and haven't had any issues.
I also use PC Decadent Chocolate Chips occasionally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:40 pm 

I use the ones from nonuttin.com, which are free of nuts, peanuts, egg, dairy and gluten, I believe. They do contain soy, though.

Robbyn, regarding the PC chocolate chips that you phoned about, could it be that some companies have certain allergens in their facility but also have good cleaning procedures and testing protocol, so they would label for 'may contain traces of ---' instead of labelling for 'produced in a facility that also handles ---' because the products are perhaps not produced on shared lines and they trust their cross contamination measures? I don't know. . . it's just a thought. It is confusing though, and I hope what I just wrote makes sense!

For instance, when we were in Maui, I found an frozen dessert made of coconut milk, and it said 'produced in a facility that handles peanuts and tree nuts'. However, then it said they have strict cleaning and sterilizing procedures and also batch test all their products for dairy, nuts and peanuts. Although some others might not be OK with this, I was comfortable enough with their awareness and procedures that I bought the product for my children to eat.

Post subject: chocolate and labelling
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:58 am 

The PC and Hershey chocolate chunks/chips...do they actually say peanut free on the label or is this something you know only after calling the company?

Did I not read on "Ask the Allergist..." that products that say "made in a facility that also handles..." has a greater chance of containing that product than "may contain..."?????

Post subject: chocolate and labelling
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:42 pm 

The PC and Hershey chocolate chunks/chips...do they actually say peanut free on the label or is this something you know only after calling the company?

Did I not read on "Ask the Allergist..." that products that say "made in a facility that also handles..." has a greater chance of containing that product than "may contain..."?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:53 pm 

Hmmmm, I hadn't heard that about 'produced in a facility that handles ---' having a greater risk than 'may contains traces of ---'. In fact, I remember reading somewhere - can't remember where - that they'd done studies, and basically all the different allergen warnings carried the same risk. I've read that the risk is somewhere from 10% to 17% that they actually DO contain traces. . . however, I suppose that some people may not react every time as the very very minute traces might not be enough to cause a reaction.

I've never actually seen the Hershey's chocolate chips, but I did see some PC ones a few weeks ago and they didn't have an allergen warning on them. I believe the other posters have called the company to confirm.

Also, there was a mention of Fry's Cocoa powder which I have been using for a while. At first, the large container (500g, I think) said 'may contain traces of milk and soy, or something like that, which I wasn't concerned about, and the small containers (250g) said nothing, so I bought the large ones. Then a few months ago, the large ones started saying 'may contain traces of nuts, plus a whole host of other allergens', and the small ones still said nothing. I checked with the company and turns out they are made in different facilities and they will always label for may contains, so the small ones are safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:41 pm 

We use Chipits by Hershey's.

I've called Hershey's a few times and they say they label for May Contain and so if it made it past our label reading it hopefully doesn't contain even traces of tree nuts or peanuts.