You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:35 pm 

I have been told that I am not getting enough healthy fats in my diet, especially Omega 3 ones. I had some bad eczema behind my ear which would not clear up, and it went away almost immediately after I started taking fish oil supplements. But I am worried about how to have a healthy diet including reasonable, healthy fats in light of my food issues:

- I am allergic to tree nuts so I cannot have walnuts (one of the top Omega 3 sources)
- I am allergic to flax (the other top Omega 3 source)
- I dislike fish
- Can have peanuts, but I work in a school and am not allowed to take them

So today, I thought I would try an avocado, and a few minutes later, my tongue started feeling weird. I'm not sure if it was just a string aftertaste, or if it was an actual issue. It was not nearly as obvious as my apple problem. But I come home and Google avocado allergy, and lo and behold it is in the birch family, and all my OAS problems so far have come from that allergy group (and my skin test for birch pollen was off the charts compared to the other ones). So I am about 50% sure this was an issue stemming from the oral allergy syndrome.

SO, what's left? I am getting in some olive oil when I cook, but I am not sure how much of it gets burned off in the cooking process. I am taking fish oil supplements. I have a spoonful of soy nuts in my trail mix every afternoon. And I eat peanut butter at home. But there are so many great sources of healthy fats which are off-limits to me. What can I eat?

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

Omega-3 orange juice is apparently fortified with fish! But you culd have it. Also, what about omega-3 eggs?
http://www.healthlinkalberta.ca/Topic.a ... 7E46097%7D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:41 pm 
Hemp seed is one of the most nutritious foods. I highly recommend. Also, chia. Both are omega-3 rich (hemp's proportions are the best of all foods).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:12 pm 

I use olive oil in tons of things, not just for cooking. For breakfast, it is nice on toast or good for dinner if you rub a clove of garlic for garlic bread. I use it in vinegrettes for salads, in mashed potatoes instead of milk, over veggies with a touch of salt and vinegar. Lots of possibilities. Heck, my grandmother once drank a glass of olive oil! Not that I'd recommend it or anything, but if you feel adventurous...