Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

We make chocolates at Easter! You can get a prepackaged dried fondant at the Bulk Barn.

This year we are going to wrap it around maraschino cherries and coat them in chocolate. Apparently the fondant mixes with the chery liquid to make the gooey syrup.
Mmmmm gooey syrup... :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:21 am 

Susan, have you called about the fondant? Is it the same company that makes the gingerbread stuff sold at Bulk Barn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:29 am 
Site Admin

I haven't pick up any yet, this year. I can't remember if I called last year. :oops:

I will definately call this time...why what have you heard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

I found the Dry Fondant in my cupboard and it a Wilton product. I've just sent them an e-mail asking about peanuts, tree nuts, eggs and milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:01 pm 

Please post when you hear back from them. I had checked many years ago, and they listed all their food products as *may contain*. Honestly, I felt it was cya - but how do I tell what's what?

I know the Bulk Barn had some safe gingerbread cookies, houses, and icing (the kind for gb houses). I think it was Liberty. I was hoping they made fondant too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, Liberty makes the dired Royal Icing which is egg-free. The dried fondant is Wilton.

I won't use it until I have heard back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:28 am 
Site Admin

My e-mail,
Quote:

Hello,
I am inquiring about your Dry Fondant UPC 20591 91311. I see from the ingredients that it contains Pure Cane Sugar and Invert Sugar. Can you tell me if it was produced in a facility that manufactures peanuts, tree nuts, eggs or milk and if so is it produced on a line that also produces products which contain those allergens? I would love to be able to use your product to create some safe chocolates this Easter!
Thank you,

Reply from Wilton,
Quote:

Thank you for your email. There are no peanuts or tree nuts in the product, plant or on the line for the Dry Fondant product you have listed below.
Although our packaging includes allergen warnings, please continue to email us in the future for any other items to help ensure accurate information and promote safe baking.
Thanks,

So, um...do I assume it's also free of eggs and milk? Why don't people read the questions? :roll:
Response to my follow up request:
Quote:
Yes, the product is free of eggs and milk as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:18 pm 

Yay! It's safe.

and

Yay! Wilton is now answering that question.

Thank you Susan. I will try to remember to get in touch with them regarding sesame seeds -- but that doesn't actually seem a particularly risky product for that allergen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Posting this so I don't lose it!
I don't have an exact recipe but I did find this site. It is similar to what I do.

http://www.caymandesigns.com/candy.htm

I purchase prepackaged dried fondant powder (sugar and sugar) from the bulk barn to make fillings. (mix with instant coffee, flavouring, kool-aid powder...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:35 pm 

I just used the Liberty Egg Free Royal Icing - it works great! My only caution - a little goes a LONG way. I made a 1/2 bag to decorate some cookes - I had tons left over. I sealed the end of the plastic (disposable) decorator bad I used and put it in the fridge.

A couple of weeks later I just smooched it around in the bag and it was perfect for my next decorating day - Valentines cookies - many many hearts :)

I wish I had discovered it when my boy was younger and we did Gingerbread houses - I can't tell you how many times I burnt my fingers using caramalized suger to "glue" the house pieces together!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:18 pm 

Hi!
Can you please tell me where I can find this icing in Winnipeg & what are the ingredients?
Thanks!

DD 4 YRS (asthma)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:11 pm 

Bulk Barn sells it. It's Icing Sugar & Soya Protein - all you do is add water.
I should also mention - i'ts not in a bulk bin! It's sealed in a bag and is with the decorating stuff - disposable decorating bags, colours, etc.

The only time I buy anything from "the bin" at Bulk Barn is if they have it in the back still sealed in the bag and where I can see the ingredients/warnings. I explain the allergies I'm dealing with and if they have it in stock, they're glad to give me my bag full direct from the stock room - I would never trust anything that had been in the bins.

Post subject: Re: Candy making
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Bump

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:34 am 
Site Admin

http://video.about.com/candy/Make-Homemade-Gummies.htm

candy molds
1/3 cup warm water
3 oz pkg flavoured gelatin
2x 1/4 oz pkg unflavoured gelatin

let sit on counter 10 minutes to soften. heat medium heat 3-4 minutes stiring to completely disolve. pour into molds to set on counter a few minutes the place in the freezer 15 minutes. cover back of cummies with cornstarch to prevent sticking and remve from the mold.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:49 am 
Site Admin

OK, dd can't have any of the chocolates on the store shelves and she doesn't like chocolate enough to justify the expense of mail ordering. We've decided to focus on enjoying the creative side of chocolates and not the consuming side so... Today we are having a chocolate making party with a few of her friends!
I have several molds mini solid bunnies, eggs, and various candy shapes. Last night, I made soft caramel filling using this basic recipe: I modified it by using 1 cup soy milk and 1 cup Nutriwhip. I cooked it to 240F to keep the caramel soft (it's a huge recipe so I removed 1 cup at the 230F for ice cream caramel sauce).
http://www.grouprecipes.com/31122/vegan-caramels.html
Today we'll make the fondant and flavour some of it vanilla, orange and coffee. We'll also keep a portion plain and use this to wrap marachino cherries to dip . The fondant takes some of the moisture from the cheeires and creates that oozy gooey syrup!
I figure 3 hours of making and chilling with a play date in between, what more could a little girl ask for?