You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:39 pm 

I recently decided to try making chocolates my kids can eat.

1cup dairy free choc chips
1 tbsp dairy free marg (use a thick one such as fleishmans )

Place in microwave safe container, cover in paper towel.
Microwave on high for two minutes.

Fill store bought candy molds (wilton makes good ones)
Refrigerate until hard and pop out.
Check out the assortment of molds. I found halloween ghosts and chocolate covered marishino cherries.

Also you can add 1 tsp. mint extract to make an awesome mint chocolate with a different consistency.

I also want to try adding rice krispies, or raisins, or orange extract. I've also come up with a good white fudgy centre. I plan on flavoring this centre with mint, vanilla, maple or orange extracts.

I'll post it soon. I haven't perfected it yet, but I'm close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:33 am 

saskmommy - I have a question about your chocolates.
I have made my own chocolates in a similar way for a while now too. I use President's choice decadent choc chips and use my fondue set to melt them. I have never used margarine with it though - what does it do for the chocolates? Mine melt easy in the hand as you eat them and need to be refridgerated until serving. Would the margarine help with this? I have been looking for some cute wrappers for the chocolates too. Any luck finding these?
Thanks.
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:31 pm 

It may just be the pastry chef in me that asks but... why use something other than plain chocolate? :? In making chocolates, I never added anything to the chocolate itself and don't know any other chefs that do... so I'm really curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:40 pm 

I adapted it from another recipe, so it was not originally my idea to not use straight chocolate. The other recipe called for shortening, but I prefer the taste of marg. It adds a bit of buttery taste to milk free chocolate. I use the microwave, and the marg. makes the choc. easier to work with and stay pliable longer. I do not have a fondue set, but marg. might not be necessary if your chocolate is being melted while you work. With the microwave you melt and then GO GO GO, the marg. helps buy me time. Once I tried to re-melt in the microwave and it burned, so maybe it would scorch easier in the microwave without it.

For wrappers, I have found some small gold foil cups that look like small cupcake holders. These work especially good for the chocolate covered cherries. Not so well for rectangle shapes though. So I would appreciate any other ideas for wrappers too.

Mylene, prior to having kids with allergies, I was a terrible cook, and I never made anything that did not have CLEAR directions on it. I don't always know the "science" behind baking because I was so recently a complete idiot, that considered Kraft dinner, a home cooked meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:31 pm 

I guess it's been a while since I looked at recipies :oops: .

If you want to work with chocolate so it is easily workable instead of GO GO GO, I would suggest the double boiler version. If you have a small metal mixing bowl (unless you make a lot, but the little ones the size of regular cereal bowl are sold at the dollar store), take a small pot of water over which the bowl fits, put a little water to boil (doesn't need much) and once it boils, turn the heat to low or off and put your bowl with the chocolate in it on top and wait for it to melt while stiring if you want (which won't take long and will not burn!). Within less than 5 minutes, you have chocolate that you can actually work with without rush and reaheat no problem!

This is still what I do when I do chocolates at home with my Wilton candy molds :wink: and I can work with my chocolate at the spead I want and not worry about burning and all. Don't hesistate if you want some more tips!

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:10 am 
Site Admin

bump :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Bumpity bump :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb