You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Rice Krispie "cupcakes"
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:41 pm 

My son had his 7th birthday recently, and I decided to make Rice Krispie "cupcakes". I thought I would share the idea because they were a HUGE hit with his friends (funny how such a simple thing can be such a big deal to kids).

I made the Rice Krispie squares following the recipe on the box and using the microwave to melt the butter and marshmallows (for whatever reason, this makes for somewhat softer/chewier Rice Krispie squares which are a little easier for younger kids to eat). I pressed the Rice Krispie mixture into muffin tins (a single recipe made 12 "cupcakes" with a slightly rounded top.) I then decorated the top with a little Cake Mate cake decorations and slightly pressed them into the centre of the Rice Krispie cupcakes. After they cooled, I took them out of the muffin tins and placed them in jumbo muffin/cupcake liners. They were a hit!! And SO easy to make. We're having the family party this coming weekend (we have a large family, and we're expecting nearly 30 people (13 kids)), so I'm planning on making the "cupcakes" again. I'll have to make a triple recipe this time!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:48 pm 

Sounds so cute, Julie! I remember having Rice Krispie cakes as a child but never cupcakes - mmm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:23 pm 

Thanks for sharing the recipe! May I ask which brand of marshmallows you use? Are they guaranteed to be peanut free? Also, I've never used Cake Mate decorations...are they also safe as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:33 pm 

sorry for the delay in responding... I'm not on the chat very often these days. In response to your question, I have used Loblaws No Name or Kraft marshmallows. I think it's always a good idea to check things for yourself (I double check all the time!) When you're in the store, just jot down the phone number, name of item and barcode. If the item is safe, then you can go back and purchase it.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:07 pm 

I also use Kraft marshmallows -- and Cake Mate products.

I recently came across a picture of my son's 3rd birthday. He didn't really like cake, and so I made his cake our of rice krispie squares. I set it in a round cake pan, and when it was firm, got it out of the pan in one piece, and decorated the top with icing.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:37 pm 

I made these for my son and let him decorate them till his hearts content. He took them to school for the teacher to put in the freezer in case of a surprise special treat.
He had a blast - what a great idea!!!
Jo

4yr old son anaphlaxsis to peanut tree nut allergic to trees grass cats dogs reactive airway syndrome and eczema