You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:59 am 
Site Admin

After scrolling through a few old posts, I have found these links which have to do with air travel.

You might fnd them helpful.

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2866

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1838

tips:
http://www.anaphylaxis.org/content/livi ... l_safe.asp

letter:
http://www.anaphylaxis.org/content/livi ... l_sept.asp

tips (scroll halfway down the page to Tips for Air Travel)
http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/parenttravel/allergy.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:59 pm 

Thanks Paige for your tips. We're flying next Friday and called AC. They said that we should bring our own food for him b/c they can't guarantee the served food is free of nuts, eggs or shellfish. That's not an issue and was expected. They also told us to bring a note from the doctor that indicates the allergies and actions to be taken. Our doctor gave us something like that when our son was diagnosed so we'll bring that I guess as our plan. Hopefully they'll let us board early to wipe down the seating area for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:21 am 

My husband flew Air Canada with our peanut allergic daughter last year. When they got back my husband could not stop talking about how great the staff had been. She was 2 1/2 at the time and he brought her car seat with him for in the plane. He said that was the best decision he ever made because that way he did not have to worry about wiping down the seats, she was more comfortable and was higher up so she could see out the window. On every single flight they let him board first (even before they made the announcement for people with children or requiring assistance) so he could put the car seat in and helped him out every time. They always made an annoucement asking passengers that if they brought any food with peanuts to keep it in their bags until the flight was over. Someone behind my husband had Tim Horton's with them and they asked him if it was okay for them to eat it, due to the fact that it contained traces and they were right behind my husband and daughter. The key he said was to go to the check-in desk as soon as you are there to let them know that you are travelling with a food allergic child and to advise the flight attendants once on board. He said everyone was extremely accomodating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:42 pm 

Southnam,

Sorry I didn't get back to you before you left for your trip - I didn't realize you had posted a question to me. The anaphylaxis emergency plan we use is the standard one from the Analphylaxis Canada website - http://www.anaphylaxis.org/content/livi ... ources.asp. It has my son's picture, his allergy list, the level of reaction, his medication information and emergency contact information. I had them printed in colour and kept several copies available for the trip. I also keep a copy of his doctor's note stated what he is allergic to and that he must carry his epi-pen everywhere. The flight crews were very happy to be given copies of his plan and were very accomodating in return.

Hubby: Allergic to deer, horse flies & bees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:30 pm 

We just went on a flight from Ottawa to Halifax. I called Air Canada twice to see what I needed to do to report our 5 year old severe peanut allergy. They of course said " nothing, you are resposible for the safety of your child." There is no one to report to. So off we went. A few minutes on board we split up our family of 5, 2 of our older children moved so a single lady with 3 young children could be together. She then proceeded to pull out her PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICHES for all 3 children right next to us. We quickly explained our situation, she responded that her children were hungry and thats all they would eat. She continued to get her lunch out!!! The flight attendant then berated me and questioned my judgement by not allowing all crew members to know prior to boarding. Meanwhile this woman is still handing out sandwiches. A nice attendant then came along due to the commotion and stopped the woman temporarily until we could be moved. He then announced around us that was was to be no peanuts in our area. So I guess it depends on who is answering your questions and who is working on your flight. I was then told on our flight back that they would announce the allergy. They also informed people around us that it was my son with the allergy. They did serve cashews and we were directly behind business class who received almonds. I wrote to AC today to tell them how I was spoken to and how things were dealt with we will see if I get a response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, it makes it hard to know what to do when you're given conflicting advice/information.

It may be that the carrier wants to absolve themselves of any responsibility and possibly hope you'll go away. The attendants on the other hand probably want to avoid an incident.

I suppose we should speak to everyone at every step of the trip. It seems odd that they couldn't accomodate a medical condition, doesn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:43 pm 

If there is no resolution you can also file an informal complaint with Transport Canada.
Air Travel Complaints Program.

http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/cta-otc2000/menu_e.html

This may be the best way to find out if you are able to file a complaint:
Click on OTHER and then contact the agency.

http://forms.cta-otc.gc.ca/AirComplaint ... e.cfm?Info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Allergic Living is working on an examination of the airlines and allergy policies and what accommodations might be workable.

It's a big undertaking. We are looking for actual cases of anaphylaxis on board. If you know of any in which a person could be interviewed, please send us a brief synopsis and contacts at editor@allergicliving.com

Pls. write Airlines and Allergies in the subject field.

Something tells me this is a subject of some interest. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:32 pm 

We just booked on Air Canada and were told that they would not even note the allergies.

People without allergies just don't think about it - my friend is amazing with my daughter's allergies yet said she would have to remember to make the PB&J for their flight --- she was mad at herself when I pointed out the risk for someone because it had not crossed her mind.

After reading this thread I do feel comforted that with advance notice at the gate people are getting good responses. But I also feel sick to my stomach thinking about it...

How do you wash your hands properly on the plane?? I envision washing hands and then touching so many things on the way back. hmmm has anyone used disposable gloves to eat??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Preboard with tons of diaper wipes and wipe down all surfaces. Remenber to wipe the area the tray rests in so it isn't re-contaminated when closed up.

Be sure to tell the airline staff at each point along the way (gate staff, flight attendants), they may not have a policy but they chould be made aware anyway.

I don't understand how someone who is obese and needs an extra seat can demand concideration (they can't be charged for a second seat, so there is some accomodation made) but we are not afforded the same concideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:47 am 

Ironically I was given more help during reservation process for my motion sickness than for my daughter's anaphylactic allergies! I do have severe motion sickness but it is not life threatening :roll:

I hope that we get the same great attendants that helped me with my motion sickness and ear pain the last time that I flew because they were incredible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:52 pm 

Since we are leaving on our Air Canada flights soon I called them again and got a very helpful person! She added my daughter's allergies to the manifest.

She was willing to check if any pets were registered for our flights but it is still afew days away so could change. She did say that on Air Canada Jazz it will be a maximum of 2 pets per plane so it should be easy to get any from them. My kids wanted to get some pets that we were not allergic to so that theirs would be the only pets on board :) Always thinking of ways to get a pet! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:55 pm 

Ack, I forgot about the pets on board now. Our daughter is attending a program in Ontario this fall and I called to ensure we could get a companion ticket for her on the plane as there's no way her teen friend feels comfortable flying alone with her without the ability to call 911 if she has an anaphylactic reaction.

The woman from their medical department seemed annoyed by my questions. She couldn't tell me if the companion ticket would be approved yet it's certain that they will not administer an epipen if needed.

What astounded me most was their annoyance towards allergies/anaphylaxis in general. There were no helpful tips, etc but rather a curt response, "Just get the paper work filled out and then we'll see."

It seemed odd also that West Jet's process for a companion ticket was to provide a downloadable form that you take to your own doctor. Air Canada will only fax your doctor directly. Yet won't he be a bit surprised if you're not arriving with the form, wondering what this is all about?? Seems an odd approach. However, when talking to Westjet, they were pretty sure they wouldn't approve a companion ticket at all for allergies adn suggested she not fly at all, there was nothing they could do to support ensuring a safe flight. :shock:

Has anyone else had success with getting the companion ticket for medical purposes or have any tips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:32 am 

Called Air Canada back again yesterday and had a completely different experience. The person in their medical department has a family member with allergies herself, finds the pets over people policy difficult and was extremely helpful with questions around food allergies, etc.

The inconsistencies aren't great for customer service or peace of mind for the allergic flyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Sometimes communication in the written form is better. The fact that they have to put their words on paper, seems to make them more accountable.

It helps to have a name and time line, too. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next