You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:52 pm 

I have had a rash on my for about two months. It is mostly on one specific leg, on the lower half, and I did not treat it for awhile because I was in denial that it was a rash :) My doctor is useless about this sort of thing, his standard response to any skin thing is ;it must be eczema, how would you like some hydrocortizone cream?'

Anyway, I used about four different eczema creams from mystery rashes of days past, and it cleared up, or so I thought. But now I have stopped using the cream, and like magic, the rash is back. Last time this happened (strange skin thing which would not clear up) it turned out to be dietary issue (not enough fatty acids, can't have many sources of them so I am not surprised, and a fish oil supplement cleared it up like magic) and the time before that, it was the corn allergy which at the time was undiagnosed.

I thought at first this was just dry skin because it's winter and I have been running a space heater a lot because my apartment is freezing. Then I thought maybe it was some kind of reaction with my clothes from the heat of having a laptop computer on my lap. But I have tried moisturizer, to no avail. I have tried every cream and potion I have. And it seems to me if it was something like the heater, it would affect more than just that one specific area.

My instinct is telling me this might be a diet issue like the other ones were, but I am at a loss as to what it might be. Ideas?

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:57 am 
Site Admin

If it was your laptop, it would be your lap and not the lower part of yor leg...could it be circulatory? Do you tend to cross your legs or sit on one hip more than the other?

Could it be shingles?
Quote:
The first symptom of shingles is often extreme sensitivity or pain in a broad band on one side of the body. The sensation can be itching, tingling, burning, constant aching, or deep, shooting, or "lightning bolt" pain.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/shingles/page3_em.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:26 pm 

A bacterial or fungal infection maybe?

Or it could be an allergic reaction... I know that when I have egg I often get a rash on the inside of my arms.. cream helps, but if I keep eating the egg of course it will return :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:17 pm 

Thanks for the feedback! I am going to scale back my diet to the basics until it clears up and then see what happens when I add things back. It really feels like a food thing to me but I can't figure out from what! But the fact that it keeps coming back and it is not all over or anything makes me think 'food reaction' and not just dry skin or something.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Yes, keep a diary and maybe you'll be able to pinpoint the cause.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb