You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What do I ask?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:35 am 

Dh and I are going away for our 15th anniversary in a couple of weeks. I want to call some restaurants before hand to make sure they can accommodate my allergies without cross-contamination. My skin results were positive to:
barley, corn, oats, rye, wheat, mushroom, peanut, tomato, mustard, sesame seed, and sunflower seeds

Do I ask if they can just make me plain fish or chicken, veggies and plain rice? Or do I see if they have something on their menu that can be modified. This is the first time I have eaten out since my last anaphylactic and it makes me very nervous!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:42 pm 

My mom has Celiac, I have an egg allergy (and some unknowns), and my father has a shellfish allergy, so when we all go out to eat it's always an adventure!

We usually wind up getting grilled chicken and a baked potato/rice, or some variation of that, and we always make sure there are no glazes or anything added to veggies. You can usually find some variation of that on most menus. It's boring but it's safe!!

I always carry a restaurant card listing all hidden sources of egg, and I am in the process for making one for Mom. As you probably know, there are a lot of hidden sources of wheat, corn, etc. I just give it to the waitress and ask that she talk to the chef. They might get a little snippy, but who cares? Your life is more important than their convenience.

Generally speaking, we've found that it's better going to a 'real' restaurant or a chain restaurant with clear allergy guides that you can look at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:45 pm 

Thanks!
We are going to a smaller town where there are not a lot of chain restaurants, so we are planning on eating at the "nicer" places.

Do usually call ahead when you know where you are going to eat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:02 am 
Site Admin

Definately call ahead and speak to the manager about your allergies. Try to arrange your visit when the restaurant is not at it's busiest so that the chef can give you the attention you require.

Ask about ingredients and sources of cross contamination such as grills. Ask thatthe ingredients be chopped on a clean board (prechooped food can become contaminated), ask for a clean pan for your food. Do they refresh (heat) food in a pot of boiling water that is reused?

There are some excellent articles in this section!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 pm 

My daughter has mulitple allergies. I would definately call ahead to see if you have some options. If not be prepared to ask for a microwave and minifridge in the hotel room, We went to Disney last year and I travelled with food because my daughter does not eat out. I made some food ahead of time and froze it. I let it thaw a little and then asked the restuarant to heat it up in the same container for my daughter while we ate off the menu. She didnt feel cheated and it kept her safe
Sometimes it is not the most ideal thing but it wont ruin your weekend with a trip to the hospital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:15 am 

Erikas mum wrote:
My daughter has mulitple allergies. I would definately call ahead to see if you have some options. If not be prepared to ask for a microwave and minifridge in the hotel room, We went to Disney last year and I travelled with food because my daughter does not eat out. I made some food ahead of time and froze it. I let it thaw a little and then asked the restuarant to heat it up in the same container for my daughter while we ate off the menu. She didnt feel cheated and it kept her safe
Sometimes it is not the most ideal thing but it wont ruin your weekend with a trip to the hospital

I just found out that the cabin we are renting does have a full kitchen. I would REALLY like to not have to cook my entire anniversary weekend. However, you are correct, it would be MUCH preferable to ending up in the ER!