You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:55 pm 

That is very interesting. I've never really thought about it that way... My husband & I AND our 6 year old daughter are all very involved in the care of our 3 year old son/brother. Our 6 year old non-allergic daughter stated that when she grows up, she is going to find a cure for allergies. She also recently told us that she wanted to make a presentation at her new school with 600 children about food allergies! Imagine that! Even our daughter is advocating for her little brother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Just thought I'd bump this topic.

I know when I read about the drugs that are out there I feel good in knowing that my daughter is very aware of what she puts into her and I hope that she will be better able to avoid the peer pressure of drugs when she links it to concerns about cross contamination etc. (Hard to share drugs when you've been raised to not even share a water bottle)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:32 am 

Great topic!
And yes, Susan, actually, my allergies have given me the perfect excuse to "just say no". If I was ever offered something, no one would try to convince me when I said no because they would not want to have to worry about bringing me to a hospital if something happened...

I also totally agree that if you look at the positive side of things, allergies causes us to lead much more healthier lives and we are conscious eaters as well. So many people are completely unaware of the chemicals and junk that is in their food and sometimes when I share information about packaged food with friends or family they are shocked and a tad repulsed. I think going back to basics by making most things, if not everything, from scratch will result is us having less illnesses in the long run while we wait for the cure for our allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:53 am 

I think my children (who have no allergies) are more compassionate to others because they see what I have to deal with. They see how I can be treated by others or in a restaurant or on an airplane... good or bad. They also see how I handle it. I have heard my daughter double check with parents when she wanted to bring a snack to a child she was babysitting or my son out on our street playing with the other children tells them to check with their parents if they can have a snack with him and I hear him ask if they have allergies! They think this way even before school age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Did anyone mention learning to delay gratification? How many 5-6 year olds can wait until we get home to have what everyone else is enjoying right now?

Ours will be the ones who save up before making major purchases and not living beyond their means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Evelyne said,
Quote:
We always pack a lunch to take with us where ever we go even when we go grocery shopping. Lately after our errands we stop at a park and eat lunch then go explore. I've never enjoyed so many pic nics before! The best part is we don't have to plan a big trip to the park we are always ready! And my kids love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Once upon a time everything you needed to know, you learned in elementary school. Now, we live in a world of continuous learning.

Our children know first hand how to go after information, question everything and judge the reliability of the information being presented.

We are raising critical thinkers and that is going to take them very far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:55 am 

Since the onset of her nut allergies at 12 my daughter has become an advocate for herself. She would not have spoken her mind easily before but she does now!

I concur that a huge benefit is realizing how many people care about her safety. Even my other daughter's team-mates parents make sure treats are safe :D

We read this forum together and she feels comforted knowing that there are others dealing with allergies. Check her list on my signature and she has plenty but she feels she has it easy compared to many - now that is a positive attitude 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 am 

What an amazing topic! :D Thanks Susan!

I have to thank multiple life threatening allergies for showing me the world of home schooling and going back to the basics. DH modified his work life so that he could work from home (makes 'bubble living' easier) and the 2 of us will never regret not spending enough time with our children. We all are healthier as a family system because of what we learned from DS. It's neat that in all the 'planning/acting' we've had to do to keep 'death' away, we've ended up with a life warmer, richer and more nourishing than we could have imagined.

Thanks again for such a nice topic, Susan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Bump

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Deep-fried butter and designer mac and cheese are some of the wacky, waist-expanding ways fair-goers can enjoy the Canadian National Exhibition this year in Toronto as vendors take a creative twist on comfort food.

Ugh, my cholesterol level went up just reading the article!
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/1008 ... wacky_food

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:58 am 

Susan - that sounds really gross! I'm glad we have the allergies here, i'm never going to hear, "mom, I want more deep fried butter!"

On a positive note, since changing our eating habits because of our daughters allergies, my blood pressure has gone WAY down.. in the "optimal" range apparently. YAY!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

Here's another... :roll:

Daughter is started to learn the recorder in class yesterday. The teacher sent hers home last week with a note stating that she had sterilized it. Yeah thanks, I washed it very well.

Last evening my daughter told me that she was glad she had allergies because she got to take her recorder with her. The others placed theirs in a big bag the teacher has for storing them. :freak
Eww, gross! Are we not in the middle of flu season?

I'd complain about this but I don't think it's my place. Maybe I'll mention it to another mom...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:17 pm 

Gross!!! :mrgreen: Yup, DD was right that in this case having allergies is a good thing.

Ew, ew ew.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:33 pm 

My guess would be that the kids don't even think about it and that parents wouldn't know they share recorders. When I told my 12 year old about Susan's daughter's school's method she said "That's disgusting!" :thumbsup.

At my kids' school, they paid $8 for their own recorder which has their name engraved on it plus a cotton bag with their name on it. The music teacher said that the ones usually bought at non-music stores do not have the same sound and make it more difficult for the students to play. They play the recorder for 2 1/2 school years so $8 seems very reasonable to me. Bonus to having their own is that they could take it home to practice (that was difficult to write as I do not enjoy the sound of the recorder...)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next