You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:19 pm 

We just found out about our 5 year olds severe PA, and am still very overwhelmed, scared & sad. I've been going through our cupboards, calling 1-800 numbers and around to local restaurants to find out what their policies are, of course, none will guarantee nut free.

What do we do now? So many foods say 'may contain traces of nuts' that he's had for years without any problems. Are they all unsafe for him now? He loves hummus (chick peas), which are in a similar family, are they off the list now too? We are awaiting RAST results.

I didn't realize how much we ate out/brought in til now (2-3 times/month). The kids love to go to McDs, Wendy's, the mall food court, and have DQ or timbits on occasion. We order pizza from Panago. His favorite thing is Booster Juice, and there was an incident last year involving a fruit smoothie. :(

UPDATE:
I just got the RAST results back from the Dr, and his IgE peanut was >100, 6+. I'm really upset by this, and although things were starting to feel kind of normal, now I'm in panic mode again. He also came back as a 1+ for wheat (he eats bread all the time), and allergies to cat & horse, which he's also exposed to with seemingly no problems.

Last edited by Becky on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:30 pm 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You referred to "timbits" so I'm going to assume you are Canadian. Here's a starters list of safe products.

Chapman's IceCream -- look for the red-ribbon that says "peanut free"

DARE -- cookies and candies are all produced in nut-free facilities

Vadenboccuer - chocolate candies, usually found for holidays (halloween, easter)

Cereal -- I trust the labelling of General Mills, Quaker, Post. If it lists *may contain* I don't eat it.

Tim Horton's -- all their food is may contain. The only fresh donuts I've found safe were Krispy Kreme -- and it's been a long time since I checked, so I'm not sure if they are still safe or not. There are some brands of donuts I buy in a grocery store, but I can't remember the name off-hand. I'll post when I think of it.

As for may contains. It's the word may. It might or it might not -- so eating it becomes a "how lucky do you feel" kinda thing.

I don't eat in any restaurants, but I'm also dealing with sesame allergy. I think both McD's and Wendy's have allergy information available in their stores and possibly on their web-sites (just be sure you are on the site for your country).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:28 pm 

Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:26 pm 

It is overwhelming when you look at the things you "normally" eat and now they are off limits. As time goes by, you will learn what is safe and what is not, where to eat and where not, but at first it is overwhelming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:52 pm 

Also, make sure you look through the peanut allergy forum of this board. There is a LOT of safe foods listed -- by brand, including where to buy it.

There are also some bakeries that are safe -- some cakes you can buy in store, and some birthday cake types of bakeries, cupcakes, etc., that the bakeries are peanut free. I'm more familiar with the ones in my area, but I've seen posts about places in other provinces as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:45 am 
Site Admin

And..remember to read the ingredients each time as product recipes can change as manufacturers "improve" products.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:55 am 

Hi there,

It is really hard when you first find out. I went through a grieving process when we found out about my daughter's PA about 18 months ago. Since then I've done a lot of reading, talked to several other allergic parents, and like you, have called a lot of companies to ask about their products.

Just to add a few more to the list: Dempsters and McGavin's both have breads that are free of peanuts and tree nuts. There are also buns, fajita shells and naan bread that I've found at Safeway and other such stores that are OK to eat. Just check the labels. Not sure if you have Save On Foods in AB, but they actually have an in-store bakery made crusty loaf that says 'may contain egg and dairy', or something, but has no peanuts. Most of these baguettes I've found are not OK for us, so was happy to find this one. Do you have Cobb's bakeries? They don't use any peanuts on site, but some of their ingredients could be 'may contains' (possibly the chocolate chips) and you just need to ask. They also use tree nuts, which are in essence, a 'may contain' for peanuts as they are often processed together. Denman Island chocolates don't use any peanuts, but do have tree nuts in their chocolates. If your allergist is OK with your son eating 'may contains tree nuts', then their stuff without tree nuts in them would be OK. Vermont's Nut Free chocolates is a US company, but they will ship Cdn orders from Que so we don't have to pay duty. I just found out and am awaiting my order.

Nonuttin.com has some great granola bars, granola and baking supplies that are all peanut and nut free. We get our chocolate chips from there, and the granola bars are really good - expensive, though.

Enjoy Life makes cereal bars, cookies and granola - available at some health food stores, and Shoppers Drug and London Drugs. I like the chocolate cereal bars (or I mean, my daughter likes them!), but everything else I find is just so-so.

McDonalds is one place that we do go. We spoke to management there, and were told they only have peanuts for their sundaes, but they are prepackaged, so the staff don't have to touch the peanuts, and we were told to stay away from the muffins because they weren't sure. We usually get the kids fries and nuggets, and they fry in vegetable oil, I think, but I know it's not peanut oil. We usually get it to go and eat at home so we're not worried about the cleanliness of the tables and the rags that they use to wipe them! Although most people just wipe tables again themselves with a diaper wipe.

Some cuisines use more peanuts than others. For instance Thai food is out, Vietnamese food tends to use peanuts, as does Mexican, Chinese, etc. Japanese food, though, tends not to (gomaii is supposed to be made of sesame but is sometimes made with peanut butter, but I think that's pretty much the only thing). Most restaurants will not give you a guarantee, but if they are allergy aware, in terms of cross contamination, and reading all the ingredients, etc, and if you make sure the chef knows of your allergies, you can eat in a restaurant! I would tend to ask for plain foods without a lot of sauces. My kids for instance, would eat plain pasta with tomato sauce. We definitely steer clear of dessert, which often either has nuts, or has chocolate, which is usually a may contain for nuts/peanuts.

I've learned to find recipes for muffins, cakes, cookies, etc, and just make stuff myself. That say, I'm sure of the ingredients, I know there are any preservatives/articificial flavours, etc, and it's probably cheaper too.

OK, I've rambled on way too long now! Hope that helps, and good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:00 am 

Oh, and I just want to say that it does get easier! If there's a local support group, you should look into joining it. It's always good to get tips from other parents. Also, subscribing to this mag also is a good way to get new info and names of companies that make peanut-free products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:20 am 

Thanks so much for all of the detailed info Alison's mom, I had never lookd at Dempsters or McGavins, but will be sure to check them out. I did subscribe to the magazine, I'm sure it will be very helpful. :)

We had lunch at McDonalds yesteray, I was a nervous wreck but it went fine. I know a few PA/TNA kids who are allowed to eat there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:04 pm 

In Edmonton area we have cobbs. I have eaten items from there, BUT they do use nuts at Christmas time. Starting in about November they make Christmas baking.
Once all the Christmas baking is gone and they run out of their supply of nuts they said they "become nut free again".
This is what I have been told at more that one location. I guess this becomes a question of comfort.
(I have had some items starting late Feb.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:50 am 

Becky wrote:
Thanks so much for all of the detailed info Alison's mom, I had never lookd at Dempsters or McGavins, but will be sure to check them out. I did subscribe to the magazine, I'm sure it will be very helpful. :)

We had lunch at McDonalds yesteray, I was a nervous wreck but it went fine. I know a few PA/TNA kids who are allowed to eat there.

I'm glad it went well at McDonalds. I used to say I'd never eat there again, but after having kids, and especially after finding out they are allergic, it's been at least a once-a-month thing for us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:57 am 

I found it very hard at first but things get easier and my stress level decreased. We don't eat out except for a local, small restaurant and sometimes Swiss Chalet and Pizza Pizza for take-out. You can check out your local pizza place as well. If they only make pizza they will probably be ok. But check it out first.

Feel free to PM me. My daughter is 5 as well and we have known about her allergy since she was 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:59 am 

Annette's Doughnuts.

DH brought home two packages of *holes* yesterday.

I'm not sure whether these are available outside the Toronto area though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:12 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
Annette's Doughnuts.

DH brought home two packages of *holes* yesterday.

I'm not sure whether these are available outside the Toronto area though.

I'm pretty sure these are available at my local Real Canadian Superstore. I'm located on Vancouver Island in B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:26 am 

I too was overwhelmed with my son's diagnosis about 2 years ago but it does get easier as you learn more and become familiar with what products are 'safe' to use. Just remember the general rules - READ EVERY LABEL EVERY TIME and ALWAYS CARRY YOUR AUTO-INJECTOR. What also might help is if you connect with others so you can share resources and support. I am not sure what part of Alberta you are from but you might want to get a hold of the Edmonton Anaphylaxis Resource & Support Group (EARS) at edmontonallergy@shaw.ca

If you are not close to them I bet someone from that group could at least set you in the right directon for a group closer to you.

Parent of 3 year old anaphylactic to peanut and tree nuts, allergic to coconut, peas, soybean, eggs, cats/dogs, seasonal allergies and has asthma.