You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Potato Allergy
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:45 am 

It's a grain, and often found in birdseed. But don't let that put you off! :) It's quite tasty.

You can see a picture here:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-loc ... 32009.html

This also has cooking instructions.

See also http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA76300 for more info.

We have used cooked millet as a substitute for mashed potatoes (e.g. on top of shepherd's pie).

I know that Bob's Red Mill packages millet - http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/inde ... dition=AND . I see those products at my local Loblaws grocery store and at the health food store.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:27 pm 

Karen, do you buy Bob's Red Mill millet? Just asking because when I called, I wasn't comfortable with their response re: the possibility of cross contamination with tree nuts. But if you got a different response, I might call them again.

I very occasionally do eat millet these days . . . but I'm not sure that I should be eating it at all because the type that I buy is processed in a plant with wheat flour. I once found a non gluten-free oat groat in the rice cereal manufactured by this company (Oak Manor) so I'm concerned about cc.

I just ordered some millet flour for the first time so at least I can have a relatively safe *source* of millet, but it would be nice to be able to buy the actual grain as well.

(I think I might react to millet occasionally . . . but it is something that I'd like to continue to eat anyways.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:42 pm 

To be honest, I can't remember - it's been awhile. But I think we tended to buy millet from La Milanaise, which is a Quebec company.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:57 pm 

Thanks, Karen. I googled them---they don't appear to be a gluten free company. Oh well.

Post subject: Potato allergy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:46 pm 

I have been trying to narrow down what makes my daughter's throat itchy sometimes at super and I really believe now that it's the potato. I didn't realize you could do a prick test for potato so I think I'll talk to her allergist about that.

It has taken since the beginning of the summer for me to narrow it down because she doesn't always react to potatoes and never has reacted to fries/chips so I didn't know for sure what it was.

I'll have to re-visit the recipe section if it does turn out to be a positive test....

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:07 pm 

My son's reaction to potatoes has been minor skin rashes, so we really didn't make the connection at first. It wasn't until after we had the skin prick test that showed positive for potatoes that we knew he was allergic. We cut out all the foods that he tested positive to and his skin has been so much clearer since. I don't even have to use his prescription creams for his eczema anymore, because his skin is so much clearer :D .

Post subject: Potato Allergy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:49 pm 

Hi

I have the potato allergy too. And I was quite surprised when I started finding potato starch in candies (ex Reisens). I can't eat anything that has even touched a potato but can still be in same room as them. It is one of the rarer allergies. I also has a friend who has it.

I would love to have Potato free and substitute recipes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:24 pm 

We discovered my son's potato allergy when he was only 2 years old.
We recently learned that my husband is also allergic to potatoes. It is a mild allergy, but an allergy nonetheless. :?

Post subject: POTATO ALLERGY
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:52 pm 

HI, MY NAME IS DIANA. I AM A MOM OF 2 BOYS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH OVER 30 ALLERGIES. ONE IS POTATO. DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN HAVE POTATO STARCH AND MALTODEXTRIN FROM POTATOS IF THERE IS NO PROTEIN. WE CANT HAVE GLUTEN, WHEAT, DAIRY, NUTS,RICE, EGG AND SOY. NO POTATO IN YOUNGEST SON EITHER. I FOUND A DRINK CALLED DARIFREE BUT IT HAS STARCH AND SUGARS FROM POTAOES, IS IT O.K. OR ANY SUGGESTIONS, AS YOU CAN IMAGINE I NEED TO FIND SOMETHING WITH CALCIUM THEY CAN DRINK.
PLEASE RESPOND SOON WITH ANY INFO YOU MIGHT HAVE

THANKYOU

DIANA

Post subject: Re: POTATO ALLERGY
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:13 pm 

Diana Steffler wrote:
HI, MY NAME IS DIANA. I AM A MOM OF 2 BOYS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH OVER 30 ALLERGIES. ONE IS POTATO. DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN HAVE POTATO STARCH AND MALTODEXTRIN FROM POTATOES IF THERE IS NO PROTEIN. WE CANT HAVE GLUTEN, WHEAT, DAIRY, NUTS,RICE, EGG AND SOY. NO POTATO IN YOUNGEST SON EITHER. I FOUND A DRINK CALLED DARIFREE BUT IT HAS STARCH AND SUGARS FROM POTATOES, IS IT O.K. OR ANY SUGGESTIONS, AS YOU CAN IMAGINE I NEED TO FIND SOMETHING WITH CALCIUM THEY CAN DRINK.
PLEASE RESPOND SOON WITH ANY INFO YOU MIGHT HAVE

THANK YOU

DIANA

We avoid all sources of potato, including starch and maltodextrin. We've always done this. I'm not sure if these would be okay for my son or not, we just avoid anyway.
Can your son have orange juice? You can buy the calcium fortified orange juice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:34 pm 

Here are some links to other non-dairy sources of calcium. Hopefully there's something on the list that your sons can have. Good luck!!!

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/nutritio ... dairy.html

http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/ss3lfgz ... ry+Way.pdf

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bnut ... g6,00.html

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/calcium.html

Post subject: Re: potato allergy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:17 pm 

I'm not new to the allergy thing, but new to this with the potatoes. It started about two years ago after I would cut potatoes I would get a small itch between my fingers and now if I even peel or wash potatoes the itching is both my hands and face. I can eat cooked potatoes, but the raw are different story. I have never had a startch or prick test for any of my allergy. I just know that they are are there.

I question for you is.

Do you think I have potaote allergy or just potato intolerance. Let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:46 pm 

Your best bet is to talk to a board certified allergist. My potato allergy (anaphylactic risk), started out as red itchy hands when peeling/dealing with raw spuds; then rapidly progressed to actual hives on my skin when dealing with the raw spuds. Shortly after (under 2 weeks) I found myself reacting to the cooked spuds). Within a couple of months, I found that I could no longer tolerate going to fast food restaurants, or their drive thru's. I now find that even being around a bag of potato chips will bring on an asthma attack, boiling or microwaving spuds is BAAD NEWS for me (bad asthma attack ++ risk of anaphylaxis), so our house is now spud free, until bbq season. That's when the rest of the family gets to enjoy the spuds on the bbq wrapped in foil.

Like I said first - your best bet, is to talk to a board certified allergist. True potato allergy is very rare (I am one of only 2 in my allergists office) and I react to both raw and cooked spud.

Dawne

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:05 pm 

I am glad I am not alone in having an allergy to potato. My scratch test was for white potato. Does this mean I should avoid other potatoes? I know that I can have sweet potato. I know I need to avoid potato starch and regular potatoes, anything else?
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:02 pm 

Sweet potatoes, fortunately, are a completely different vegetable--they aren't actually potatoes. So they are fine. I'm allergic to potatoes, and I react to potato starch also. Sometimes you have to watch out for medications--some contain potato starch, although cornstarch seems to be more common. I always question the origin of "starch"--could be potato (or corn, or wheat, none of which I can have.)