You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Serious Citrus allergy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:12 pm 

I didn't realize how many people other than myself who suffer from serious citrus allergies. :shock: Rarely in magazines or allergy health related articles do I see information about this type of allergy, it is quite discouraging.
For me, even smelling peeled grapefruits and oranges causes a reaction. Does anyone know how to get people to 'believe' that they have a citrus allergy. At many restaurants, they give me a 'are you serious' type of look. Many times, I have reacted due to 'mandarin slices' being put into my salad.
Has anyone here with a citrus allergy been prescribed an EpiPen for it? And does anyone have any suggestions on how to survive the winter orange/clementine season? :roll: Thanks :wink:

Post subject: Re: Citrus Allergy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:45 pm 

<<<Citrus can be hidden under citric acid (which can be a vinegar based or lemon based addition). There is citric acid in almost every packaged food product (including soda pop). It's used as a common preservative. >>>

Citric Acid is commercially made from corn. I have a LOT of trouble with foods that contain citric acid because I am severely allergic to corn. I have absolutely no problem with fresh citrus fruits.

Here is a link that shows some of the hundreds of foods that may contain citric acid.

http://www.codexalimentarius.net/gsfaon ... tml?id=173

Post subject: Citrus Allergy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:50 am 

Hi

There are Citrus Allergies and Citric Acid Intolerance, covering different parts of the fruit. You can have one or both. My Citrus Allergy is scent, trace, transfer. That said I can eat any citric acid food that's not in already on my list. Kiwis and pineapple are not in the citrus family. Looking up "Food Families" will help in understanding the difference. Here are some links to food families.
http://www.foodallergygourmet.com/Food% ... milies.htm
http://www.hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/do ... 20FIRH.pdf
http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/E ... ood_Family
http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/families.htm
I have found that restaurants like it if you can bring a printed list of your allergies. I made some for myself and my family in business card size (easy to fit in wallet, and yes, I can get mine legibly onto it), laminated so that I can clean them off from someone else's oils. Informing your family and friends on how sensitive you are will help keep you safe. Also learning what foods are more likely to contain citrus zest. Carrying your own soap will help. Citrus is in so many cleaning and beauty products that it is really hard to keep one's self safe. Telling the restaurant up front the issues really helps make them at ease and help to keep you safe. Wearing your medic alert jewelery is VERY IMPORTANT. I had an incident where the chef would not admit that he put lemon in the food. I got 'Bubble Lungs' from it and it took two years to get my lungs stronger. I have tried using a respirator (N95?) on my lower allergies but I could still smell them. I have heard of someone making a charcoal mask breather thing for his allergies. It's a hard allergy to have because of the new green cleaning.

I have had an EpiPen for at least 5yrs now. I wear it on my belt so it always with me. Citrus is unfortunately one of the rare allergies to get. I have had to run out of many a room to get clean air. Don't be ashamed to ask someone to not eat it or to put it away for later away from you or to just tear out from a room. My own Grandmother banned me from her home because of my allergies. She said that my allergies were a burden. And I only asked for the top three to not be there when I came. I even bent and said fine to being near wine because it was Christmas. They failed and I reacted to citrus (my main allergy foe). My Daughter at the time was about a month old and my poor Husband had to juggle the two of us. We taught our niece about the allergy at about four and she will search out any citrus and get rid of it for me. And that includes taking things away from her younger brother. People can learn, its just slow.

Safe journey to you and yours and remember it is real.

laladiable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:55 pm 

My son's citrus allergy causes his eczema to flare up really bad. We cannot and do not have citrus in our house because when it's in the air and my son is exposed his poor skin gets so raw and painful. I am grateful that it is not anaphylaxis, but his eczema can be so painful. :cry: