You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: My Daughters Story
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:48 pm 

At the age of 12 my daughter suddenly became allergic to milk products. At the age of 15 it became all animal by products. We cooked vegan and all sorts for a year. I personally was diagnosed with low iron and was put on iron pills. Well my daugther started complain about low energy and some of the same things I as experiancing so I purchased her an Iron suppliment. We do not have good health insurance or I would have taken her to the Doctor. Anyway after about 2 weeks On iron she started feeling ok when walking by meat cooking and tried a peice. She was fine we started to slowly add thigns she was anaphalptic to back into her diet she is now after living with allergies for 4 years can eat everything. So my advice to you would be have your childs iron and other body minerals checked out.

I am not saying that this is what is wrong with everyone but it does show how delicate our bodys are and that one mineral being off can make huge difference. My allergies and my sons have not gone away. I am worse if anything. I thought that anyone who had allergies may need to hear this since all my daughters reactions where anaphylaptic.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:36 am 
Site Admin

Mom, I know that you are very careful and that must have been scary to give her the challenge like that. I'm sure you had your Epi-Pens at the ready.

I have heard in the news that some people are being incorrectly diagnosed with food allergies and most allergists are concerned about overly restricted diets.

It's important to find an allergist with a of of experience with food allergies as the tests can produce false positives (RAST) or negatives (skin prick) and they need to be weighed in conjunction with the patients symptoms and history.

I would caution readers to only try an oral challenge on the advice of their Dr and under medical supervision.

This can be very challenging for those in the USA who don't have access to medical care.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 am 

We did skin first and yes epi pens where right there and her allergist well he was not helpful at all. All her RAST came back negative but yet she was anaphylaptic. Susan is right given different circumstances I would have loved for a Doc to be there.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:21 am 
Site Admin

I'm hoping that the proposed health care reforms will be a help. You've opened my eyes to an issue that I don't think many of us realized exsisted.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:38 pm 

its dreadful, but lots of people end up being told to avoid a wider range of foods without good reason.

I have got some good medical care for my son , but even they have told us to remove food containing vascoactive aminines. which is a long list, and some of those foods are eaten without any trouble.
so i refuse to remove them from his diet.

I have met other parents , wrongly told to remove all tropical fruit from a childs diet, because of one fruit allergy . The wider serious areas of this poor medical support can lead to serious long term ill health for the child.
rickets , once a victorian disease of the poor is showing up in children who have diary taken out of diet without good dietary support.

Breastfeeding mothers end up extremely malnourished in some cases , with little improvement in allergy /atopic health in infant.

i have to mention that my son gets his iron levels checked quite requently, and iron deficency is common in teenagers and women of a certain age.
Its common sense to find a safe mineral supplement for these teen important growth years.
loss of appitite is a common sign of low iron.

its worth considering a time on calcium supplements , because a vegan diet should be prettty good for iron and calcium levels, vegan children are a pretty healthy lot from those I have met. perhaps its time to drag out some more vegan recipes just to improve wide range of foods eaten!!!

I would like to go vegan, but with peanuts and beans on our no list, its not that easy.
a vegan resturant is a good idea for those with milk /egg allergies, but not for those with peanut allergy.