You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:02 pm 

I've been adjusting to my son's allergic reaction to peanuts for two months now. I've found that I am completely shutting down mentally these days when it comes to labels. I'm scared to give him a new food even if I know it's safe if I'm alone or if it is going to be within two hours of sleeptime.
My biggest question is about soap and moisturizers. I've used Dove Baby (sensitive) since he was a newborn followed with Aveeno for Baby moisturizer. I have never had a problem with either. Since his reaction I have learned that Aveeno products do have almond oil so I stopped using it. Being afraid to continue with his soap I contacted Dove and Johnson and Johnson. Dove didn't have that information for me so I completely disregarded their product. Johnson and Johnson claimed to not use any nut products but could not speak for the raw materials sent to them.
I started using the toddler "HUGGIES" soaps (Johnson and Johnson) He has since develpoed a rash and his skin is drying out due to a lack of moisturizer. Does anyone have any suggestions for products to use???? It's getting to the point that I'm dreading giving him a bath.

On a different note, does anyone have any suggestions for barbecue or salad dressing. Am I right that I can't use the Kraft dressings and barbecue sauces are not safe????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:29 pm 

Molly, our son has used the Johnson and Johnson baby all in one wash (yellow bottle) since he was born without problem. I don't use soap each time he has a bath to keep his eczema under control but when I do use it I've never had an issue. If your little guy has a rash try avoiding soap unless necessary. As far as moisturizers I can't answer that as my son reacts to almost all other soap,creams etc..

I've contacted Kraft many times regarding different products. They seem very aware of allergy issues and have for me always have very clear answers to my questions. Call them if you have any questions regarding a specific product. Kraft told me they promise to label any top 10 allergens as well as they will label if there is any contact or cross contamination with any top 10 allergen.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:12 pm 

Our son is now 7 years old, but he had really terrible eczema as a baby (we used to use the Dove baby wash as well - before we knew of his tree nut allergy and the fact that this baby wash contained almond oil!). The doctor recommended we use Aveeno bath oil to bathe him, and we've done so ever since (the proper name of it is "Aveeno Skin Relief Shower and Bath Oil" and it comes in a 295 ml bottle and costs about $11.) We don't use soap on him at all, except for when he washes his hands. We slather him up with cream every time he has a shower and every night before he goes to bed. We have used Moisturelle on him for the past few years, but we have also used Aveeno moisturizer as well as Glaxal Base. His skin looks amazing, and he very rarely has the odd bit of itchy skin. Only on very rare occassions does he need cortisone cream, and it seems most often it has been in the summer when he's been wearing suntan lotion and/or swimming.

We used to use the Aveeno bath oil for his hair as well until he was 6 years old - very little, just a few drops or he would end up with the Elvis look!) Once our son started showering instead of having a bath, I searched for a safe shampoo that could be rinsed off well and wouldn't be in contact with his body for long. The shampoo we are currently using for him is Suave Naturals - strawberry scent. We always wash his hair first, rinse really well, then shower him with the Aveeno bath oil. His skin is still in great shape and he rarely complains. If his face is rashy from the cold windy weather, we put vaseline on the sore spots at night, and he wakes up with beautiful skin in the morning.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:55 pm 

Hi,
My son has very sensitive skin, and very dry. I have always used cetaphil on him with no problems.

FYI..speaking of dry skin. If you use any bath and body works lotions purchased in the states bewar e..i've found many that contain macademia oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:20 am 

:shock: :oops: OMG...this morning while getting ready i thought i would look at the cetaphil bottle on my counter..ingredients..I couldn't believe what i had read...macademia nut oil :shock: ! I have been using this since he was two years old. I guess when i initially started using it, i didn't check the label (maybe didn't know better). Thank goodness he never had a reaction with it. Now it's starting to make me believe that maybe he was never really allergic to tree nuts all along..like my allergist suggested. He said that 20% of the skin tests show false positives. He was two then, now he's 10yrs old.
So please disregard my suggestion to use this product...man i hope that you didn't use it already..i feel horrible. :oops: :cry: I guess you learn knew things every day, but this is a frightening discovery when i think of what possibly could have happened.

suz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:11 am 
Site Admin

The term tree nuts usually refers to
Quote:
almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts (filberts), macadamia nuts, pecans, pine nuts (pignolias), pistachio nuts and walnuts.

It's possible to be allergic to one or all of these. If the product contains macadamia nuts and he doesn't react on contact that's great but I would not go ahead and feed him tree nuts until you have done a porper oral chalenge.
Still, it's promising. :) Definately mention this to the allergist on the next appt. (you may want to call them and get an earlier appt). Most Dr's do not want patients to be on unnecessary dietary restrictions.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:21 pm 

Hi,
My son had bad eczema when he was young and also bad diaper rashes. I went to a skin doctor and he recommended we use Allenbury's Soap (for sensitive skin). Both my kids have been using it and it is great. We buy it at Shopper's Drug Mart and it costs about $1.99 per bar (a little expensive).

boys' mom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:53 pm 

We have used Cetaphil FOREVER, too, and I WOULD NOT consider your child to no longer be allergic because they haven't reacted to these soaps and lotions.

Most of the "nut" oils used in lotions and soaps are so refined that they no longer contain the protein (the allergic part). I would still check before use, but definitely don't think that they can now eat tree nuts...

About the eczema/sensitive skin...since dd was a baby we have used a combo of cetaphil, eucerin, aquaphor, dove soap and sometimes hydrocortisone. It's a constant battle with her atopic dermatitis and eczema. I can now say with her new meds (hydroxizine) and our little routine, that for the first time in four years she is all cleared up! I love it.

We have never had a prob with dove at all, hth....

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg