You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:00 am 

I've always had a difficult time wearing watches because of my nickel allergy, but I'm a "watch person" and always ask for one for Christmas, ever hopeful one of them won't make me itch... My husband surprised me this year with a watch from Roots - I thanked him but I confess I looked at all that shiny metal doubtful that I could wear it for long. Then he showed me the tag attached to the watch, it said:

NICKEL ALLERGY FREE
Watch case, caseback, crown, bracelet and plating are nickel allergy free and safe for those with nickel allergies. 100% stainless steel.

I've been wearing the watch every day since Christmas and I'm happy to report it absolutely no problems at all. I love that Roots "gets it" and, of course, that my husband spent time this year finding a safe watch for me! :)

Here's a link to an excerpt from the nickel allergy article I contributed to Allergic Living a few years ago, just FYI: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=113

Progress, yes!

Carolyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:02 am 

I have a nickel allergy as well. I used to paint clean nail polish on the inside of my watch and watch band years ago, then switched to fabric 'sport bands', but then more recently decided I didn't like the look of them anymore.

I also found the Roots watches and got myself one (well, it was actually *from* DH, but I picked it) for Christmas 2008. I love it, and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

I hope other watch and jewelry companies start making more products with nickel free stainless steel!

Now, if only medic alert would use nickel free stainless steel, I'd be so happy! Both my kids have reacted to the SS bracelets. I've had to get them sterling silver ones even though they are not as sturdy. . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:06 am 

OK, just read your article, and see that Dr James Bergman was mentioned. He's my kids' allergist - love him!