You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Is this an allergy ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:14 pm 

Lately I've been experiencing something that feels/looks like an allergic reaction. Since about last year, after almost everything I eat, I feel nauseated. Then recently i had a drink of alcohol, and immediately my mouth (lips and tongue) were swollen, along with difficulty breathing. It also happend when I went to the dentist for a filling. Immediately after she injected me, my lips and tongue started swelling up, and I again had trouble breathing. I also couldn't swallow. And the other day, my friend dropped her glass of alcohol (I think it was a rev) and I accidently put my hand in it (I think I may have put my hand near my mouth afterwards), then about 15 minutes later I started feeling weird (nauseated, dizzy, started having weird rashes all over, my tongue and lips were starting to swell, ...).
The foods that mostly makes me feel nauseated are, shrimps, lobster, some fruits, every kind of juice, bread, and a lot more.
Also, I had severe eczema when I was young, then it dissapeared for awhile, but came back a few months ago when my mother changed the laundry detergent. I also noticed that shampoos, soaps, etc., gives me rashes all over my body (where it touched).

Could this be an allergy to sulfates/sulfites (not sure which one)?
And should I be carrying an epi-pen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

You mentioned most of this a month ago. So, have you spoken to your Dr about this?

There are many reasons that foods can make you nauseated. What was in the medication the dentist injected you with? What type of alcohol did your friend spill?

You will need to be specific in your records. Make some notes, and getthe information so that your Dr and you can discuss your situation and arrive at an answer.
Good luck!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:13 pm 

The swelling, trouble breathing and the rashes sound like an allergic reaction, but you should see your doctor asap to confirm. You can purchase an Epipen, over the counter, if you feel you need one right away. It costs about an $100. You might want to see the doctor so you can get a prescription and hopefully have this filled and covered by your health plan - if you have one. Best to get to the doctor, then allergist to have some testing done. They will want to get your history with regards to your history, and when you've had reactions so they can determine which tests are required.

Julie

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:31 pm 

Alot of the symptoms you describe could definitely be allergic reactions but without further information it's hard to know for sure. I would definitely seek out an allergist and voice your concerns and get tested. You could also have something called oral allergy syndrome.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome
I would seek medical advise asap, so at least you can carry an epipen should any of these 'reactions' starts affecting your breathing.