You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:53 pm 

Appreciation goes a long way too. Too often we need to make requests and sometimes complaints so I make a point of thanking anyone who has helped us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:36 pm 

I had my daughter wearing her epipen at 2 years old so she got used to wearing it. Today she is 12 and still wears it everyday and of course her medic alert bracelet. She feels lost without it. She wears a bigger pouch because she needs other meds with her at all times too. No-one ever bothered her about it. Maybe that was because it was natural for her. When kids asked she told them it had her medicine and it was not a toy etc. When she is in gym, or other activities she takes it off and leaves it in the same room with her. She needs to have it close by so she never leaves it in a locker etc.
My son has also just tested positive to nuts. He is 5 yr old and wears his all the time. If we are going to school he has it on him but if I am going to be with him then I carry it in my purse. When in the seatbellt just place the belt under the epipen belt so it is against the childs body.
Unfortunately, we cannot protect our children from bullying but it is so important that your child understands this is important. It becomes normal to them and if we have a good attitude about it they will too.
I want people to know who my child is becasue with all her allergies it keeps her safer. Everyone knows Erika has allergies and the kids dont bother her about it. She is older than your child but we have always been open about everything and parents often call me to ask if they can send something to school, what Erika can have etc. I try to keep it positive and always show appreciation to everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:53 am 

Thanks Erikas mum for the epi belt info, and you guys are absolutely right about showing appreciation to people who help out! I'm thinking of sending a thank you note home with all the kids in my DD's preschool. To my knowledge, everyone has been cooperative, and some have gone out of their way to find treats labelled as peanut free to give out on Halloween and Valentines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:14 pm 

I clearly understand your concerns with this school, i would be worried too. If it were me i would contact the health unit, and they can come in and educate all the staff about allergies, use of epipens etc..Then i would make sure that my child had their epipen nearby..i keep one in my son's backpack, as well as at the office. It's out of sight, but at least it is closer to him then at the office..the ebelt is great too. At my son's school his picture is posted in the classroom with his allergy info on it, contact info etc.. I agree with a few of the other posters when they say all out bans on food is not only difficult to enforce, but also how do you just say that applies for nut allergies and no other. It could become a nightmare with them banning numerous other foods. I would just have a 'nut free' classroom. Send notes to the parents of the children in the class about the allergies. Of course even with all this done, you are still gonna get parents sending things in that are unsafe for your child. My son is in grade 5 and still people send stuff in that blatently break the 'nut free zone' rule, even though he has been with the same kids since the beginning of school. Some parents just don't care.
I would talk to them about removing the obvious peanut stuff in the vending machines, and keeping bake sales nut free.
Above all, i would educate your child...dont' share food, wash hands before touching food they will be eating, carry epipen at all times, read labels each and every time. I am one of those firm believers that education is the key. You are never gonna have a nut free world, if not now, eventually they will come across numereous situations in which nut products are around and they have to know how to protect themselves, not depend on others. JMHO
I wish you the best of luck. I remember how scary it was when my son started school, big hugs.

suz