You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Nut-free Asian sauces
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:23 am 

I received an e-mail from a reader asking about allergen-free soy sauces or other asian sauces.

Does anyone out there know of any brands which would be safe for someone with peanut/tree-nut allergies?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

We use VH brand sweet and sour sauces.
We make our own version of teriyaki sauce.
I'm pretty leery of fish sauces etc. not sure why though...
Anyone out there using fish sauces, oyster sauces etc.?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:24 pm 

Thank you, Susan!

I'll be sure to let her know about VH sauces!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:10 pm 

I find that so many sauces say trace of sesame.
Be very careful of import products. I had to give away a huge box of our asian products as the labelling was so unclear. For example, a package of yellow noodles labelled as egg noodles - yet the ingredients listed no colouring, no egg, just water corn starch and flour??? BE VERY CAREFUL if you purchase products in an asian store. The last time I ever went into one I was ill when there were several huge wicker baskets with shelled and unshelled peanuts all over the store. We only buy asian products from the grocery store now as I feel that hopefully they are a bit more regulatory regarding labelling.

I've never fed any of Asian food/ sauces to our son but here's what Lee Kum Kee says regarding allergens.

Products of Lee Kum Kee (USA) Foods Inc.
Are your Hoisin Sauce and Plum Sauce Peanut-Free?

Our Hoisin Sauce does not contain peanuts or milk, but it does contain wheat flour, which is an allergenic substance to some people. For your safety, please consult your dietitian before consumption.

Our Plum Sauce does not contain any dairy, eggs, peanuts, tomatoes, honey, mustard, rye or potato (starch), but it does contain wheat and soy.

Most of our products do not contain milk, eggs, nuts or peanuts. We clearly list the top nine major allergens on the ingredient list if they are included in the product. The nine major allergens are soy, wheat or other gluten-containing grains, peanuts, eggs, milk (dairy), tree nuts, shellfish and crustaceans, fish, and sesame. For your own safety, please check the ingredient list on the label before purchasing a product.

Our manufacturing facilities handle peanuts and their derivatives. We have implemented nut handling policies and procedures to ensure that peanuts and sesame are kept in a segregated storage area, with its own tools and containers. We schedule the production of these peanut and sesame products at the end of each production week and follow careful cleaning procedures. Therefore, cross contamination is minimized. In addition, we analyze the peanut residue in the next production batch to ensure that no peanuts are carried over to other products.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish