You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I hate cows and chickens
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:16 am 

My milk egg allergic daughter had a reaction to chicken the other day. I suspected it before, but didn't think it was very likely. She has also had minor reactions to jarred baby cassoroles containing beef and chicken, and to hot dogs and sandwhich meats. I contacted the manufacturers and even sent stuff back to be tested for eggs, milk , but it came back negative. I was scared to give her any meat after this. My mother-in-law (gotta love her ) thought I was crazy.

Tuesday after giving her a definitely safe piece of pasta cooked in chicken broth ( no eggs or milk ) her face swelled and she got hives. I gave her benadryll and headed for the hospital ( about 10 min ). If its gonna get worse, we might as well be there. I was fully prepared to pull over and give an epi pen if needed. Luckily she got better.

I now hate cows and chickens. I already didn't like them for the milk and eggs, but this is rediculous. I just wonder what I did to them for them to do this to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:03 pm 

I'm a pastry chef that developped a milk allergy soon after graduation... too bad for that dream! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:04 pm 

http://www.eggs.ab.ca/about/allergies.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

A few people think I'm crazy when I say that my daughter is allergic to beef and chicken too! I found some articles that say how it is rare, but it does happen.

She has also reacted to a vaccine ( not egg based ) that I just found out may contain chicken.

She has also reacted to playdoh. I'm wondering if it contained beef based gelatin.

I will be really excited if I've discovered the source of the allergic reactions that have been a mystery up until now. Mystery reactions SUCK!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:38 pm 

I've been researching the whole cow allergy. I was unaware of how all these dairy cows have the ability to produce milk all the time. They are pregnant, give birth and immediately separated from the calf. The boys are slaughtered for pet food, and rennet (for cheese ) is removed from their stomachs. Their bones are boiled and gelatin is extracted. Gotta love that Jello! The girls are fed "formula" that is either not from their mother, or not cow based!!! Then these girl cows (who were fed the milk of other animals ) get pregnant and the cycle continues.

I swear the more I research this allergy, the more likely I am to go vegan!!! I'm almost there already anyways!

Maybe milk and egg allergies are the "revenge of the cows and chickens". It sounds like it could be a movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:15 am 

Yeah, it is rather horrifying how farm animals are treated. But there are alternatives out there for those of us who drink milk and eat meat. (I personally couldn't be a vegetarian---I'm allergic to soy and am allergic to all the legumes I've tried.)

I really like harmony organic---they promise that they treat their cows like members of their family :) Because the cows are less stressed and they don't eat garbage, I believe that the quality of the milk is better. It's more expensive, but the way that farmers treat animals is not totally their fault---it is in response to consumer demand for the lowest-priced food possible.

Plus I've been in contact with them lately, and I've been very impressed with how seriously they take the allergy situation. (I'll post more about this later when the outcome of our discussion is clear----they are considering replacing the corn oil carrier for Vitamin A with sunflower oil because sunflower oil is not genetically modified.)

http://www.harmonyorganic.on.ca/about/about.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:26 am 

saskmommy 2, i just looked up those two websites you directed us to----i didn't realize before that some people with an egg allergy can't have chicken. I'm sure glad that I *can* have chicken! (can't have eggs)

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: harmony milk
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:46 am 

I read that link for harmony milk. That sounds so much better than the dairy info I read last night. Regular dairy seemed to have a lot of chemicals such as herbicide and pesticide in the feed, as well as geneticly midified cows producing the milk. If I wasn't forced to be vegan, that milk sounds a lot better.

It definitely would be hard to be vegan if you were allergic to soy and lentils. My youngest daughter just happens to reacting to all animal products .