Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Trust your insticts!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:40 pm 

Hi there,

Just wanted to post our recent event with our son. He is 2 1/2 years old and has confirmed severe dairy, sesame seed and fish allergies (dairy allergy includes contact sensitivity), has environmental allergies, eczema and asthma.

Given history, we have been avoiding peanuts and tree nuts, never been around them at all so zero exposure. So now that he is 2.5 took him to allergist for testing so we can know if allergic or not to nuts and therefore can either introduce these foods or at least have them in the house again for ourselves!

Anyways, the allergist said that we should just try and give him a little of these foods when he's 3 or older and see if allergic as the test can give a false positive so most families just try to introduce the food and then see if reaction. Given my son's severe reactions to his first very tiny introductions to his other allergies I was not at all comfortable with trying him with any nuts as I had a bad feeling it would most likely result in a trip to the hospital and therefore wanted the test.

Additionally, if a small hive is shown which could mean a false positive situation, if follow-up with blood testing showed negative or very little allergy then child could do an oral challenge. Therefore, just because you might get a false positive situation which requires more testing, it doesn't warrant having to give a highly allergenic child one of the most common food allergens to determine if an allergy exists or continue to completely avoid that possible allergen due to not knowing which further restricts the already limited diets of multiple allergic individuals.

So thankfully after my explaining, the allergist then did the test for us and very good thing as our son was positive with a large hive for peanuts and fair size hive for tree nuts! So if your in a situation like us, push for a test first, it saved us putting our son in a potentially deadly situation should we have tried to feed him nuts!

Now that Zachary is positive for half of the most common allergies we're going to follow-up with blood testing to try and quantify further the severity of each of them (although they say the size of hive or higher blood test results doesn't equate to severity of allergy only probability of allergy I would argue from our experience and some of the research shown like those children in that latest published peanut allergy research in the UK, that there is a correlation and they just hasn't been a study to prove this correlation yet). Hopefully we'll be able to watch his allergies decrease over time and go away completely and never worry about allergy testing again.... or more realistically find a cure for allergies!

Anyways, hope our story helps.

Take care!

Jodi, mom of child with severe dairy (includes contact sensitivity), sesame seed, peanut, tree nut, fish and environmental allergies, as well as eczema and asthma... (this list needs to get shorter, not longer)!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

Oh dear Jodi, that list does get long. Here's hoping he does outgrow at least some of them.

Re the testing in younger kids - this seems to vary with the allergist. From what I've heard, I think a fair no. are now doing the tests on kids under 3.

Anyone else care to comment or has had the skin tests on a young child?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Our daughter's first skin test was when she was 15 months old. That was about 6 years ago.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:04 am 

I was told not to do testing until age 2 as there are very high rates of false positives before then.

My DD had a reaction at age 2.5 and was subesquently tested. I insisted on a blood test as I didn't want to unnecessarily expose her to a substance that we already knew she'd had an anaphylactic reaction to. The allergist agreed and did peanut and egg via IgE, and tried tree nuts and milk via skin (she'd been eating almonds with no problem).

DS had a reaction to tree nuts at just before age 2 and was tested at about 26 months (there was a long wait to get to the allergist) and between then we treated him as if he were anaphylactic. He tested positive to peanuts (which he hadn't been exposed to except through breastmilk/in utero), most of the tree nuts and egg (via blood) and milk and kiwi via skin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:51 am 

Our son was first skin tested at 13 months of age (Feb. 2003).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:55 pm 

My daughter was first skin tested at 6 months old. The doctor said he wouldn't normally test kids that young, but she was quite sick and obviously reacting to thing(s) I was eating (she was exclusively breastfed at the time).

She was also just tested for nuts and peanuts this week (15 months old) and both resulted in big hives via skin test. It was actually the doctor's idea to test her even though he had told me at our last visit that we should just avoid nuts as a precaution but not test for them. He was worried now because she is allergic to soy, lentils and sesame, which are all legumes and correlated to nut/peanut allergies. His suspicions were correct, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:02 pm 

Both of my kids also received skin tests before they were a year old. My son was reacting to foods I was eating while breastfeeding & my daughter was reacting to almost every solid food I introduced.

DD 4 YRS (asthma)