You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Can OAS change?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:33 pm 

I was diagnosed with anaphylaxis to the following, about 7 years ago.
Apples,
Bananas
pears
peaches
avacado
plum
honeydew
cantelope
kiwi
strawberries
tree nuts, except almonds
snow/snap peas

There are probably more, just can't think of them at the moment.

Lately, when I've been cutting up apples for my kids, I've noticed that my hands don't get itchy. So I did what I know I am not supposed to do, and rubbed a bit of fresh apple on a scratch on my forarm. Nothing happened. I used to get hives if I'd do that.
Also, noticed the other day, that the sweet and salty bars I've been eating forever, now say they have cashews in them, they never used to. And I've checked and checked the ingredients. And again, I've been fine.

Is it possible to "outgrow" OAS? I am not about to sit down and eat something, but did call my allergist for an appt. I was quite dissappointed to find out that since it's been some time since I've seen the allergist, I now need to get a new referral and wait months for an appt...............this is not right if you ask me. But anyhow.

What do you think? Possible? Not possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:47 pm 

Well it's definitely possible to outgrow OAS or even some of the things that used to bother you. Over the years, the fruits and veggies that I can have change sometimes each season. But I'm a bit confused because you said you were diagnosed as anaphylactic to those foods which is far worse than OAS which usually gives itchy mouth, palate, and other not too serious symptoms. Obviously it's great news that when you touched the apples they didn't trigger hives like usual and that is probably a good thing. But everyone here will remind you that you still need to be careful until you know for sure. It is unfortunate that it takes so long to get an appointment and I personally know what that's like as well. But unfortunately, even though we are the highmost authority on our bodies, allergists and nurses are good at protecting us when it comes to testing foods out. The last thing you would want would be to test something out at home without the help of someone who is trained to deal with reactions...big or smaller ones.
While you're waiting, shop around for other allergists that may have openings sooner, or even private if you can afford to do so. Good luck and definitely keep your chin up, this is probably great news!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:48 am 
Site Admin

I just skimmed through the Spring edition of Allergic Living Magazine and it has a lengthy article on OAS. I'll try to get a chance to read it tonight!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:15 pm 

Hmmm..maybe i'm misinformed, but i thought that OAS generally doesn't cause anaphylaxsis? I mean, over time it can develop to that but generally it is tolerable and wouldn't prompt someone to carry an epipen..anyone?

We were talking with my son's allergist and he stated that current reasearch has shown that getting seasonal allergy shots can actually sometimes cure if not greatly reduce the OAS symptoms. Perhaps you should talk about an allerigst about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:00 am 

My allergist told me to carry an epi-pen after I had a bad reaction to a raw apple. He said it isn't so much that the actual reaction is life-threatening so much as the suddeness with which it can come on. I did have a racing heartbeat, panic reaction etc. and while it may have cleared up given an hour or so, I did come close to fainting because it was very sudden and frightening, and he was concerned that could be from a blood pressure drop, and if that happened and I fainted, there is a risk of head injury or something like that.

I did test positive for raw apples on a skin test (he tested me with an actual apple) but given my history (birch allergy) and given that before and since, I have often eaten cooked apples or applesauce with no problems, he thinks it is OAS rather than an apple allergy. I do react to a few other foods of this type. But the apple one is possibly a actual allergy so I do carry the epi-pen.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:51 am 

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure. I swear my husband has developed OAS, because each time he eats a raw apple, pear, cherries he gets a really 'scratchy' throat, or if he touches his eye after handling the food it swells up. I've told him to go to an allergist but ya know men :roll: .

Suz