You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:46 pm 

Check out this section in the Ontario Human Rights Commission:

n) Environmental sensitivities and nut allergiesAn emerging issue in many workplaces involves accommodating the needs of employees with environmental sensitivities and serious allergies, for example to nuts. The Commission has previously stated that these may be considered disabilities. For example, if a person with asthma, environmental sensitivity or allergies found themselves disadvantaged in the workplace as a result, that person could be considered a person with a disability under the Code. Employers may therefore have a duty to accommodate these kinds of needs.

This may include limiting, where possible, opportunities for workplace exposure to common substances that trigger asthma or allergies. For example, an employer may institute a “scent-sensitive” or “scent-free” workplace policy or designate the workplace as a “peanut-free zone.” Depending on the workplace and the particular situation of the persons in question, there may be other appropriate accommodations. An accommodation will be appropriate to the extent that it respects the dignity of a person with a disability, takes into account individual needs, and promotes integration and inclusion of persons with disabilities. The Canadian Human Rights Commission has recently posted materials on environmental sensitivities on their website at www.chrc-ccdp.ca.

So, employers need to accomodate their employees - does that mean that our kids are "employees" as well? Something to think about.

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 am 
Site Admin

I think the term employee implies that the person has chosen to enter into a contract with the employer.
The term student means the person is recieving an government service to which they have a right.

I would expect that one could argue by extension that the student has a right to the same human rights as an employee.

It begs the question, "Are environmental sensativities and serious allergies considered disabilities?" I have read that they are not because we are 'usually' not aflicted. This is an unfair statement as is because of the many adaptions and accomodations which have already been made. If we did not do so we would not be able to cope.

I am very interested in this because if you qualify for the Canada Disability Savings Grants (CDSGs) or the Canada Disability Savings Bonds (CDSBs), you may be able to get an annual federal contribution up to $3500.0 for the CDSG and $1000.00 for the CDSB.
http://www.taxtips.ca/disabilities/rdsp ... entsin.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:34 am 

My doctor is supposed to have applied for disability status for my most allergic daughter. We have not heard back as of yet.