You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:29 am 

I am very confused about the labelling in Canada and am just trying to clarify what the differences are regarding allergies.
Some products for Example say "may contain" I understand that one
Other say Manufactued in a facility that also produces products containing nuts
Other things say made in a nut free facility
Others say contains, egg, wheat etc but nothing abut nuts
Others have a "nut free" symbol
Others say nothing

If a product says nothing about allergy's and does not contain for example "peanuts" would it be safe for a nut allergy?
Or if it says it has allergy warnings for eggs, does it therefore mean it is safe?

What is the actual law on the labels. I read the website and I believe it means that if there is a possibility of cross contamination it must be noted. And if the allergian is in the lis of ingrediants they don't have to declare it.
Why are somethings with the nut symbol on it and others are not. For example Melba toast is made in a nut free facility but it doesn't have a nut symbol on it,but Mars bars seem to be the only chocolate bar with a nut symbol on it, but others "appear" to be safe.

I am going for nut testing in the next two weeks and just trying to be cautious until I get confirmation on my allergy test. I have been avoiding nuts because when I was pregnant I ate peanut butterand felt a little odd after I ate it. So I refrained. My son is now born but I am scared to eat nuts until I am 100% sure that I do or don't have an allergy or intolerance.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:34 pm 

Check out this link.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... rgee.shtml

"Manufacturered in a facility . . " I treat this the same as "may contain.
Made in a x-Free Facility - I consider this safe for consumption and appreciate the declaration.
Contaiins x, y, z - I appreciate this type of labelling as it stops me from having to read through all the ingredients - I can see at a glance if our allergens are present.
Symbol - just makes it easier to see.
Nothing - this doesn't mean it's safe for all allergens. In the link it will shows you the allergens they MUST label for. If there is nothing listed, then the top 10 allergens (including nuts) are not actually present. This is not to say that it might not contain (i.e. the precautionary labelling like May Contain, made in . . ., etc.)

There are no laws yet for precautionary labelling. They are working on it.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by mharasym on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 pm 

Good luck with your allergy tests.

In Dec 08 I spoke with the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) after I called a company to check if a product was safe since there was no "May Contain" on the label and I was told that May Contain listings are optional.

The specific product we inquired about was made on equipment that manufactured nut products on the same line but there was nothing on the label. It was an American company.

If a product does not list May Contain we do not consider it safe unless we call. Even then I have to be comfortable with the quality of the response! When in doubt, go without. :)

If a product is not made in Canda or the USA we do not buy it. There have been too many recalls for foreign made foods that were not labelled correctly.

However, I have phoned many big companies in Canada and the USA numerous times and there are some who do label for May Contain and some who do not. We support the companies that do the full disclosure! We love Dare because many of their products are made in a nut-free adn peanut-free facility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:07 am 

mharasym wrote:
Contaiins x, y, z - I appreciate this type of labelling as it stops me from having to read through all the ingredients - I can see at a glance if our allergens are present.

Most often, I find it I look through the list x, y, z, are actual added ingredients. I do not consider this labelling safe enough for me as I do not feel it says anything about *may contains*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

I read a Dare lab el on cookies which said contains "wheat and soy." Great, I thought, not our allergens and I bought the cookies. I took them home and was rading the label as I put them away...one ingredient "butter oil" :shock: isn't that "milk"? Called Dare, and yes, they were in the process of changing the labels.

Tsk, tsk and Dare was a company that I felt safe with. YOU CAN NEVER ASSUME. YOU NEED TO READ THE INGREDIENTS EVERY TIME.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:37 pm 

We use the allergen list as a quick way to not buy something but still read every label. Although I did forget recently when buying something for my husband... luckily caught it and wrote all over the package :oops:

That's unfortunate that Dare missed that --- for those of us dealing with nut and peanut allergies Dare is wonderful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:03 am 

Let me clarify - on the contains x, y, z, what I meant was this is an easy way to see if it contains one of our allergens - it does NOT mean that I don't read all ingredients, every time. I do! I just means if it says in clearly contains one of our allergens I don't need to look any further. I've been doing this for 17 years and have seen all too often a food that was safe become unsafe due to packaging changes, plant changes, other product introductions etc. Even after all these years, I read every label, every time.

As for May Contain warnings - yes the link I provided states that they are not mandatory, although mandatory precautionary labeling is in the works, as I understand it.

I'm surpirized and disappointed with Dare's labeling issue mentioned in this thread. I consider their clear, concise labeling a standard by which others could follow.