You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:37 pm 

I'm trying to find tree nut free dried fruit to have in the house however, I can't seem to find any that is not produced in a plant that also handles nuts. In fact one brand even told me years ago to be careful as often famers who bring in fruit in the wooden crates will also bring in crops of apples at other times in the same wooden crates... so as you can see I'm very wary. And I used to be able to find shredded coconut but now I can't find that either. With xmas coming would be nice to find some of these special baking items.

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:50 am 

Hi, the only brand of coconut I've found is the walmart brand. I did call the company and confirm recently that their coconut is processed in a peanut/tree nut facility.
I also found one brand of dried apricots - The superstore brand - which is also peanut/tree nut free. The only brand of dried cranberries I've found is the Ocean Spray brand. They even have the peanut free logo on the back of the package.

Hope this helps. If you find anymore please let me know. I'm always going store to store hunting for new products.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14 am 

I haven't checked them out yet but I recently saw a commercial for SunMaid (you know the raisin company?) and they are now making other dried fruits as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:19 pm 

Just to add that I can also confirm that the "no name" dried apricots mentioned above are made in a peanut / tree nut facility as I call just a couple of weeks ago -- so SuperStore, Loblaws, No Frills, and Your Independent Grocer should all carry them.
The "no name" pitted dates are also processed in a peanut and nut free facility if anyone is interested.
Coconut made by "Compliments" brand which is the store brand for Price Chopper, Sobeys (and a couple of others - just google it) is also peanut / nut safe.
Thanks for the info about Walmart coconut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 am 

I just bought a package yesterday - Ocean Spray Craisins (they have different flavours) and are producted in a dedicated peanut-free facility. The package contains the peanut-free symbol on the back. Not sure about tree-nut free so you would have to contact the company directly.

Parent of 3 year old anaphylactic to peanut and tree nuts, allergic to coconut, peas, soybean, eggs, cats/dogs, seasonal allergies and has asthma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:46 pm 

This may not be the type of dried fruit the original poster was searching for but we are big fans of Sun Rype products --- the Fruit to Gos are a staple for my daughter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:53 am 
Site Admin

Nonuttin' has dried apple and cherry 'snacks' (dried cherry/fruit puree in the size of chocolate chips).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:42 am 

Susan, where do you buy Nonuttin? Thanks for the tip as I've been looking for dried apple and cherries.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:06 am 

We've also bought the cherry fruit chips from NoNuttin'. They aren't actual dried cherries -- but little sweet cherry chips that are made from cherry pure. My son loves them -- great for adding to home made trail mixes, and baking. They do have added sugar -- (actual ingredients are: sugar, cherry puree concentrate, rice syrup, apple pectin, citric acid, natural flavour)
I'm personally not a big fan of the dried apple pieces.
You can try them out by ordering a bag of their trail mix as both ingredients are in there. Their trail mix is really good.
I've bought them online at http://www.nonuttin.com/shop/nut-free/n ... -products/ -- and they have wonderful customer service!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Yes, I order online. I recently did a mass order with my local support group. If we had $200.00 in orders, we got free shipping. :)

It's a little work, but it was worth it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb