You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:31 pm 

The night before Easter as we took our little ones up to bed, we were excitedly talking about the events to look forward to on Easter morning. This included the hunt for treats that the Easter Bunny was going to bring. My boys know that there are always non-food related items to hunt for, but that there are some chocolates too. In all the excitement, my son turned to me and said with a very serious face "Mom, does the Easter Bunny know that I have allergies?" I replied that of course he did and his response was "Yah I bet he has a special list with all the kids with allergies so he can bring them the right kinds of chocolates" :D .

Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:12 am 

Haha! :D My daughter did something similar. We had a few nut-free chocolates that the Easter Bunny left but she wouldn't eat them until I 1. I checked the ingredients and 2. I told her I wrote the Easter Bunny to tell him about her allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:59 pm 

We've been there too... This year I made sure the Easter Bunny wrote a little note to say that all the candies were safe. Interestingly enough, the kids took him at his word. Normally they would double-check with me! ;)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

We stuff the plastic Easter eggs with safe candies and treats and leave the bowl out for the Easter Bunny to hide. (He always brings a few toys too!)

We just figure that he isn't as smart as Santa is, well he's is just a big rabbit after all.

Dd figures that when I am on the computer, I am talking to Santa, the Easter bunny and the Tooth Fairy. Apparentky he is just a big bunny with high speed internet capabilities!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:15 pm 

Those are all cute stories. We assured the boys that Santa had spoken to the Easter Bunny about Jack's allergies so the candies were safe.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:51 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
We stuff the plastic Easter eggs with safe candies and treats and leave the bowl out for the Easter Bunny to hide. (He always brings a few toys too!)

That is an incredibly clever thing to do, Susan. That way, your child knows that the treats are safe, but gets the fun of finding them. I never would have thought of that.

Your idea is really brilliant. As I like to tell people, surprises involving food is really not good for allergic children. It is just too stressful.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:29 am 
Site Admin

I just read this article by a mom whose family has multiple members with multiple food allergies. I like some of her ideas and thought others might, too!

Quote:
Easter Traditions for children with egg allergies
by Kate Krier

Decorating wooden eggs are one of our favorite traditions.I know a lot of families have their own special Easter traditions. Fancy clothes and Easter decorations to name a few.
Hiding eggs is always fun. We - I mean - the Easter Bunny - hides the eggs, which are stuffed with quarters, in our backyard. The girls still look forward to the egg hunt each year. They are all about the money!

When a family member has an egg allergy, dyeing eggs is not an option. As some readers may be aware, my nine year old daughter (as well as my husband) suffer from food allergies. My daughter cannot eat or handle nuts, peanuts, dairy, eggs, fish, and shellfish.

So, we don't dye real Easter eggs. Instead, I buy wooden eggs from the big craft stores and my two daughters and I paint them instead. Every year, we each paint two more. I write initials on the bottom of each egg. This way, we can divide them up when they start their own family traditions.

I know most people enjoy Easter candy, especially chocolate bunnies. But, when you have a food allergy to dairy, milk chocolate isn't an option either. So, I have found an online candy shop that caters to people who suffer from food allergies. The chocolate from Amanda's Own is delicious. I ordered candy and chocolate for my daughter almost a month ago. This will be her first chocolate Easter Bunny.

I'm so excited about it - I can't wait for Easter!

http://www.nj.com/parenting/kate_krier/ ... .html#more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:10 pm 

Every Easter I think the most fun my kids have is looking for their treats. We hide every little item. I think it was last year when I did all my late night hiding to be ready for Sunday. All things fair the kids start the hunt. They have equal amounts of items. By the time they should be done we were still missing a few items!! It took Hours!!! I could not remember where I put all the treats!! It was the evening when the last of the items were found. :shock:

My children are not little ones so I thought I had better hide them good, just not so good that I cannot remember where I put them. Any way we had much fun and a lot of laughing, yes at my expense, thats o.k. we had fun.

Have a great long Easter week end with all your families

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:29 am 

Here's a great website for printing a custom note from the Easter bunny .

http://www.dltk-holidays.com/easter/printables.html

Scroll down and click on coupon, then follow through, pick Easter for the season, pick your font, text size , your picture etc.. you are able to then type in your own custom text onto a note from the Easter bunny.

You can attach this to your Easter treats allowing your child to see that they are 'allergy' free treats etc.. One sheet makes three separate little notes, each can have separate text and pictures added.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:47 pm 

Hershey's made our Easter! I had searched in vain in the Easter section for safe treats (nut and peanut free). Disappointed at finding nothing I was glad that I at least had the Kisses in coloured foil but just before the checkout there was a bin of safe Hershey's Eggies and Marshmallow eggs! I was in doubt because in similar packaging there was a peanut product but confirmed by phone that the other items were okay.

I feel funny that I was happy that no one else that gives my kids treats had discovered them as they didn't know until the egg hunt today that I had found safe treats and were pleasantly surprised.

At 10 and 12 they still had a blast on their egg hunt especially as there were coins and a few bills in eggs too :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Gimbal's made our Easter! Dd was amazed to find a big bag with 41 flavours! I left them in the bag so she could use the flavour chart. She was thrilled to find something so clearly labeled as free of her allergens. She's been quite adventurous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:39 am 

Guardian Angel made our Easter! It was the very first large hollow Easter bunny my children have ever had. They were so excited. My daughter right away looked at their symbol on the package and knew where it was from and that it was safe. The little eggs they made were also great. The flavour of the chocolate was delicious. Peeps were a big hit again also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:09 am 

I placed an order from Vermont Nut Free chocolates and was not disappointed. The products we got were all dark chocolate, as DS is allergic to milk. They are may contains for milk, but his allergy isn't severe so we give him may contains for milk all the time with no issue.

Anyway, they had a really good assortment of easter treats and my kids loved them. They are good quality chocolate with no artificial anything, which I like!

We also got some Dare bunny shaped gummies to give out to DD's preschool class, and got some Vadeboncoeur solid bunnies which are nut/peanut free, but were milk chocolate, so they were only for DD (and DH!) but not DS.

We had two hunts - one with cousins and one with friends, and with all the treats plus toys and stickers, they were pretty spoiled!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:46 pm 

Dare Easter Jelly Beans, Dare Easter Jelly Bunnies, Whoppers, Vadeboncoeur Chocolate & Caramel Chocolate wrapped treats were in our baskets (and now our tummies) along with Hershey's Foiil Wrapped Eggs, & several varieties of Kisses.

I noticed at Zellers they had en entire display - probaby 30 feet long, 4 shelves high with nothing but hollow shaped bunnies, cars, action figures, etc. with big no peanut/no nut symbols on the front of them - but they had decorated eyes & bow ties made with egg so they were off the list for us.

I'm surpized Walooet couldn't find anything in Winnipeg. This was one of our best years yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:08 pm 

I looked at grocery stores (sobeys and superstore) and never saw Vadeboncoeur or other ones. Obviously I should have checked out Zellers!

Fortunately my kids are in health conscious mode and did not want much chocolate. They liked the cash in the eggs :lol: