You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am 

My epipens expire soon and I'm trying to figure out how many I need to buy. We currently have 6 - 2 at home, 2 on DD's Kozy epibelt, which are with her at preschool, plus 2 more in the diaper bag for DS. I'm wondering if we need more now that DD will be in the main school and DS starts preschool in September.

I could get a kozy for DS to wear at preschool with two pens and obviously take out with us whenever he's with us, plus DD to wear hers with two pens, plus the two at home. However, I also hear of school plans saying 'child should wear at least one, and there should be at least one spare one in the school', so does that mean my children should wear their two on them, then I'd need to supply an additional two to keep in the school office (in an unlocked, marked cabinet?), or would the two they're wearing be enough, as long as they remembered to wear them all the time.

What does everyone else do? Do you keep one in the classroom AND the office, plus the epibelt, or just one or the other?

We used to have extended health that covered everything, but now we don't and have to pay for them ourselves. . . . I don't think the school 'does' twinjects and I don't want to bother with them either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Our daughter wears an e-belt with one Epi-Pen. We leave one ot the school and we keep 2-4 in a fanny pack along with her asthma medications. The fanny pack goes with her in her backpack or, if she's with us, we'll carry it.

At home it hangs by the front door and follows her to bed for her night time medication regime. -It's always on the same floor as she is, in a predictable place, just in case.

Contact the school and ask what they require. Most schools will require one auto-injector with the prescription label for the recipient on it.

You can investigate sources of prescription coverage in Canada here:
http://www.drugcoverage.ca/p_links.asp?language=1

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:53 am 

Thanks Susan - I've thought about just hanging our kitchen ones by the front door, too, so maybe we'll do that and save ourselves from buying those 2.

Regarding the school, there is ana. plan there right now - I'm just drafting it up and presenting it to them next week so it will be place by the time my DD starts K in September. I'm sure they'd be OK with whatever I felt comfortable with.

Any others want to chime in with their experiences? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:09 pm 

My daughter got her first epi in grade 1 but was not anaphylactic until grade 7.

She carries one with her at school and then there is one in the office. Midway through grade 7 her only goal was to "Always remember to take my epi-pen when I change classes." She had always worn it on a belt before.

At home, her epi stays in her purse and the extra is in my purse. Both purses are in the hall closet --- we put up a hanging shoe holder so her purse always goes in her 'cubby' there.

Our challenges now with the epi are sports since we do not always stay there and I don't like the epis being left 'unsupervised' yet she is not going to wear it either.

So we only have 2 epis at home - never thought about getting more as she thankfully does not have airborne allergies to the nuts and peanuts. When we travel this summer in the USA we will have 4 --- we were given advice to have 2 with us and then leave 2 in our hotel room/cabin so that all are not exposed to the heat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:16 am 

Our son always wears one Epi in his Epi-belt, 2 are at school, and 2 are at home (one with me in my purse, one with my husband) - so 5 Epipens every year (or 15 months)! When you purchase your Epipens, try to get the latest expiry date. King Pharm seems to now offer 15 months as the longest expiry date. My husband & I used to try to share having one at home, but we had a few mishaps with doing that - it was rare, but if, for example, I was on the highway and realised I have the extra Epi in my purse, and my son was home with my husband, I would have to turn around and bring the Epi home since that meant he only had the 1 Epi at home in his Epi-belt. We decided we each need access to an Epipen in addition to the one our son has in his Epibelt. In the summer, when school is out, we now have access to 5 Epipens (more than we need). Whenever we go somewhere as a family, we carry 3 Epipens. In the summer, if we're a long way from home, we'll carry 4 Epipens.

We always hang our sons Epibelt on the door handle so it is the last thing we see when leaving. We can't possibly miss it because it is right on the handle. Our daughter drew a large sign that says "EPIPEN!" as a final reminder to our son

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:14 am 

Thanks Julie and Walooet for sharing your experiences. Yes, I usually phone around to a few different pharmacies to get the latest expiry - I'm getting a July 2010 date right now when I'm calling, which is great as it takes us through the next school year.

We have two kids who need epipens, so I guess if we can make do with 8, that's not bad. I always carry two per child when we're out, and we brought 8 with us to Maui last month (we'd had 6, but I wanted an additional 2 for the plane ride).

Yes, I think we need to create a hook or cubby system by the door and just make sure we always enter/exit by the same door!

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:59 am 
Site Admin

If you already have a place to keep your keys etc, you can place a hook near there. We put up a row of hooks so our daughter can hang up her own coat. She hangs her Epi-Pen on one of those hooks.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:33 am 

Haven't read all responses -- sorry if I'm repeating anything.

DS wears one epi-pen in an e-belt. It hangs by front door when he's at home. There is one spare epi-pen in the office (unlocked) at the school. I carry one or two epi-pens in my purse (I have allergies as well).

The reason my son's school wants one left in the office is in case the child forgets to bring it to school. In 7 years, this has happened to us a total of three times. Twice I was able to bring it to him, once I couldn't, so I called the office and had them send the spare to the class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:57 am 

I made a picture of my daughter's favourite actor holding an epi-pen with "Got epi-pen?" printed on which is on our door. When she was having troubles remembering to bring the epi this picture really helped!

The epi-pens in the school office are brought on field trips as a back-up too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:06 am 

Thanks everyone.

Our row of hooks where we hang jackets is in a unheated foyer area of the house, so I don't want to keep our epipens there - probably gets down to 10 degrees or colder in the extreme cold of the winter. . . . I'll have to hang a hook right inside the foyer doors in our living room, but I can easily do that.

Great idea about bringing the extra office ones on fieldtrips! I think for the next few years, I'll be going on fieldtrips with my kids, so I'll just bring spares, but I'll use your idea in future if I don't go.

And yes, I'm thinking we must have at least one spare in the school - even if make a point to remember to wear the belt each and every day, it could catch on something, then break and fall off during recess, or something like that!

I think we'll do 2 on belts per child which go with them everywhere, plus 1 per child to keep in the school as a spare, plus 2 to keep in our house. With the hook by the door idea, the two kept in the house are probably not necessary, but when we travel, I like to have 4 per child anyway, so we might as well have them all year round.