You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Food label pet peeve
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:21 am 

I hate it when I am buying US products and due to Canadian regulations they tack a French only label on top of the English label. Or if they tack a French/English label over the original ingredients list. The Canadian regulations are different than the US regulations.
Once I was confused because my granddaughter was reacting to a product that said it was safe on the pasted on label. I steamed the label off and found soy listed. I phoned the company and they indeed did have soy in the product. Less than 2%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:29 am 

I'm trying to determine whether my corn allergy means that I can't have any corn-derived sugars and whether I am sensitive to tartrazine. So I called President's Choice to ask about the contents of their gingerale. As so many companies do, they list "colour" and "natural flavours" as ingredients, but they do not list the specific ingredients.

The person I spoke with on the phone was as helpful as she could be with the information available, but President's Choice needs to improve in this area. The contact person did not know about the source of the glucose or whether the soda contains tartrazine (this is a common sensitivity--they should know about this!) and had to call the supplier. It took over a week for me to obtain the information. At first I was told that the natural flavour was ginger, but when she called me back, she indicated that the "flavour is proprietary" and she is not allowed to tell me what it might be. :? I asked her the name of the supplier, and apparently they are not allowed to divulge this information either.

Shouldn't companies be *required* to release the ingredients' list when asked????

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:25 pm 

I too came across "secrecy" around ingredient information when calling about a health and beauty product that didn't have any labelling. Still after explaining the reason for my request was given the "run around". It baffles me, considering the prevalence and severity of the allergies people are dealing with today. Ingredient information should be given when requested -- it's that simple. I guess we help change things by posing the questions and pressing for answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:19 pm 

Yes, maybe if we keep hounding them (well, maybe hounding isn't quite the right word....making polite but insistent inquiries, let's say) they'll decide that it will save them a lot of money and time to label their products clearly rather than paying someone to answer phones. :) Of course, legislative change is really what's needed, but I guess we'll just have to wait and hope for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

I have often heard f this probem. I suppose that if I could figure out the exact combination of ingredients, I could corner the market...
Give us a break!
Most of the artices I have read on this matter suggest you ask if something is in the product rather than ask what is in it.
I usually e-mail the company and state, "A member of my family has a potentially fatal allergy (anaphylaxis) to all components of egg and dairy. I am writing to inquire as to whether or not your --- product which contains natural flavouring contains any egg or milk derivatives. "
Not a perfect solution, but more likely to get an answer I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:15 am 

In my case, I was very specific with my concerns about peanuts / tree nuts. Even when I reiterated the reason for my request and explained that I did not want to know all of the ingredients listed, the customer service representative would not confirm or deny the presence of peanuts / tree nuts in the product. When pressed, (and perhaps to hide the fact that she didn't have answers to my questions) became defensive and said that the ingredient list was "top secret" (in so many words) -- and that "Coke or Pepsi wouldn't give out info in their ingredient lists, would they?" :shock:

Susan, I agree with you -- to save the frustration I now put all of my requests in writing. You also get the added bonus of having a hard copied response.

Post subject: playdoh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:38 pm 

My daughter became covered in hives up to both armpits after playing with playdoh. None of her known allergens are in it they told me. They would not tell me their secret ingredients. I have no idea what she reacted to. Thanks a lot!

Now I'm scared of red food coloring and craft supplies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:03 pm 

Shame on them!!!! I came across a stumbling block too with a skipping rope that my daughter reacted too. The company responded to me a few times and then dropped me like a hot potato. :evil:

Post subject: Playdoh
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:05 pm 

If I am not mistaken playdoh and crayola crayons have 'Arachidic Acid" as an ingredient. which is "peanut oil".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:58 pm 

I just had to look it up.............

Quote:
What are the ingredients in PLAY-DOH compound?

The exact ingredients of PLAY-DOH compound are proprietary, so we cannot share them with you.

We can tell you that it is primarily a mixture of water, salt and flour. It does NOT contain peanuts, peanut oil, or any milk byproducts. It DOES contain wheat.

PLAY-DOH compound is non-toxic, non-irritating & non-allergenic except as noted:
Children who are allergic to wheat gluten may have an allergic reaction to this product.

There is no MSDS sheet required for PLAY-DOH compound

http://www.hasbro.com/playdoh/pl/page.f ... efault.cfm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:00 am 

and.................

http://www.crayola.com/factory/preview/ ... on_mfg.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Here is a sample letter that I e-mailed to Crayola inquiring about their paints.

To Whom it may Concern;
I am writing to you on behalf of my daughter who has recently started Junior Kindergarten at ****** school where your products are being used.
She has anaphylaxic allergies, which are potentially fatal, to egg and milk. The only way to outgrow these allergies so through strict avoidance.
I am inquiring as to whether your acrylic paint products contain either milk or egg (often used as binders). I understand that there is propriety on specific formulations and would not request a detailed formulation. If you could allow me this small bit of information so that I may keep my daughter safe, I would appreciate it.
Thank you in advance,

Have you tried to e-mail them, stating that a reaction has happened and that you are trying to pin point the allergen?

Good luck!

Post subject: playdoh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:49 pm 

Seems I was recently misinformed abt playdoh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:47 pm 

Monty, I have to apologize, I didn't look it up to prove you a liar, I just had to know, because some peanut allergic people can tolerate peanut oil, and some can't, I had to wonder if my daughter was okay with the oil..

Post subject: Playdoh
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:57 pm 

I Hate Nuts.Please, dont ever apologize. I feel embarrassed as I was recently told that the product had some peanut ingredient in it. When our daughter was little, she had every kind of playdoh and accessory available, we had a blast with it. That was also before I developed my peanut/nut allergy. I personally dont see why the company would use any type of peanut product, and when i find where I read it i will post the source. I apologize to you for posting misinformation.