You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:51 am 

Hi everyone

I am curious for opinions on whether I might be dealing with a wheat intolerance here. In the past I have had problems with rashes and itchiness after eating bread, and had assumed it was either the yeast (since cereal seems to be fine) or unlabelled corn syrup (since corn is one of my allergens). However, I am starting to wonder now if it might be a wheat issue. This past week it has been Passover, and corn is forbidden during Passover, so I know I am not consuming any by accident since all the food I have been eating has a stamp on it. The big difference has been that oatmeal/cereal has been banned and I have been substituting matzo crackers and matzo bagels for it.

Around the first night, I started getting bumps on mylegs that turned into a rash overnight, and the one finger that seems to be the barometer of 'you have eaten something you shouldn't' is red and itchy too. I assumed it was from the cheese at my aunt's seder. But that was days and days ago and it's not clearing up.I also have found my eyes have been itchy the last few days too. I also found that when I eat these things, I do not feel satisfied at all and am hungry twenty minutes later, no matter if I eat protein with it or what. It's weird because my usual oatmeal and cereal does not seem to be an issue.

The reason I am starting to suspect a wheat issue is a) I know it's not a corn reaction because corn is not permitted at Passover so none of the food has it b) I know it is not contamination from an outside source because except for dinner at my aunt's on the first night, I have not had any outside food and c) the sole new variable in my diet this week has been the matzo products. I am not sure this is an 'allergy' per se since cereal etc. is usually fine. But might it be a wheat intolerance after all?

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:47 pm 
Does it look like dermatitis herpetiformis? That is a main symptom of celiac, often found in the inner thighs. Of course, I am not assuming it is - just pointing it out.

Good luck finding the culprit.

http://www.celiac.ca/EnglishCCA/edermherp.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:17 pm 

No, it doesn't look like that. It just looks like a rash. But it's itchy (mostly on my legs) even in the places where it's not showing bumps. This one website showed symptom list:

# Gastro-intestinal (stomach bloating and cramping, diarrhea, flatulence, constipation etc.)
# Neurological: headache, memory loss, behavioural difficulties, depression
# Immune: poor resistance to infection, mouth ulcers, arthritis
# Skin rashes, eczema, psoriasis, itching flaky skin
# General: food cravings, tiredness, chronic fatigue, unwell feeling

(http://www.foodintol.com/wheat.asp)

I have about ten of the things just there. And what makes me so suspicious is that the increased wheat from the matzo is the ONLY different variable this week AND because of Passover, there is no chance it's a corn problem.

That said, I may be slightly hypocondriac at this point because I do have quite a few eating issues relating to my allergy stuff...

It just seems odd that given this one change in diet and knowing it is not a corn problem, the rash would come back and stay back (along with some of the GI issues) if there wasn't something going on. And I do know that bread generally makes me itchy. I had assumed it was from the yeast, but now I am wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:05 am 
I'm sorry you're going through such a struggle. It reminds me of my celiac disease diagnosis when I was tested for so many things before I had the answer - I thought I was just lactose intolerant, actually!

I would just suggest seeing your doctor, maybe getting tested for celiac anyway, just to rule it out (if you eliminate wheat or gluten, tests will be negative, you have to be eating it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:12 am 

Thanks for your reply. I am going to go see my doctor, I think. I'm a bit scared now---I just found out a cousin of mine has been very ill with an auto-immune disorder, and my father said autoimmune disorders run in the family---this is news to me! And on my mother's side we have a ton of weird stomach issues---Crohns, Colitis etc. So these two things conbined with my symptoms have me really worrying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:55 am 
It's scary, I know! But hopefully they'll give you the correct diagnosis whatever it is. I understand what you mean about autoimmune diseases - that's how it in my family, everyone has one or two or three each. Try not to worry, and just think how much better you'll feel!

Good luck.