You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:17 am 

Just heard of a woman who has had numerous anaphylactic reactions who is now pregnant and the doctor said they do not know whether the baby would be okay if she had a reaction during pregnancy.

This had never dawned on me and made me extremely sad at the prospect for any female with severe allergies. Thus far my daughter's allergies are manageable but they've worsened over the years so who knows...

Does anyone have information this topic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:50 am 
Site Admin

AL has reported (Winter 2007, "Infants, Diet and Allergy") that allergists say an allergic woman should know her food triggers and diligently avoid them during pregnancy to reduce any chance of reacting.

That said, it is still considered OK for the mom-to-be to use the auto-injector during pregnancy should an accidental exposure occur. We've been told this should not put undue stress on the fetus. (Though obviously not something anyone would want to so, so you'd hope the avoidance suffices.)

One allergist said - "there is more risk to the mother and therefore the baby if the mother doesn't use the auto-injector during a reaction". Another said "in a life-threatening reaction, use it right away." A third (an obstetrician) was the most blunt: "It's better for the baby if you're not dead."

Harshly put, but good point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:09 pm 

Thank you Gwen. The woman who is pregnant now has had multiple anaphylactic reactions as her allergy is airborne and not always avoidable. I imagine she will not be in restaurants or grocery stores for the duration of her pregnancy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:41 am 

I did have an anaphylactic reaction while I was pregnant with my son. I was in my second trimester and it was a bad one. Even in that situation my first thought was the baby. The doctor at the hospital said "I must be alive to save the baby", point taken. I was given more than one dose of epinephrine (sp?) and follow up meds for two days. They said that the baby's heart would beat faster due to the meds but the baby would be fine. I must say it was always in my mind until he was born I had thoughts that something could be wrong, but all went well and I had a very healthy and "large baby boy" :shock: