Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Students and Scents
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:45 pm 

*** also posted this in the Chemical Allergies and Sensitivities***

Oh I wish I could positively say that Students have Sense but unfortunately I can not...

Today a student put on Giorgio Armani cologne just before getting in my car . Thankfully I discovered he was bringing it to the tournament and stopped him. I had to open the windows despite the other students' complaints. I explained it made me dizzy and nauseous.

As soon as we returned to school he doused himself with it and I could not get near him. Students were asking me to come help them but I could not as they were near him .

I am an EA and explained yet again to the teacher and some of the students how painful it is for me with the scents. This has happened with other students and only one warning was needed for them to stop. This particular student may not stop.

It is not impossible for me to work but I was nauseous, dizzy, sinuses were in pain and my nose was 'on fire'. Obviously not a good work environment! I could handle it if I did not like the scent but it is far beyond that.

I am sure that I have rights with my co-workers for them not to wear scents but do I have any recourse with students?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:09 am 
Site Admin

I don't see why a school could not be a scent-fre environment. Workplaces over-ride most other things (did you know that you cannot smoke in your own home if you have someone working there (contractor/ nurse etc) because it is now concidered a work place. many people work at schools.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:53 pm 

The problem is that the school does not stop students from bringing in allergens that others have anaphylactic allergies so I don't know how they could say the students not wear scents for me --- it does make me sick etc but not anaphylactic.

Today I made a plea with some of the students and hope that they share that with others. Most are very understanding but it is the few that are the problem...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

As we found in this article - http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=128
in Fall 07 issue of AL, a growing number of companies/hospitals are going scent-free, while several people have successfully pursued human rights cases. But the latter is a rather more formal approach.

It would be nice if the school would at least allow you to post "scent-free zone" posters in your class, maybe the washroom. Do you have a union you might speak to about assisting you in these discussions?

It would definitely help if you had a doctor's note to show that the sensitivity is a diagnosed problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:55 pm 

Thanks Gwen.

In a work environment that has clients (or in my case, students) and it is scent-free are they not allowed in the workplace if wearing a scent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

If you go to the Canadian Centre for Ocupational Health and Safety, you will find quite a lot of information. There is a book "School Workers Health & Safety Guide" which you can order for $112.00 + shipping/handelling. You may want to see if your school or union rep hasa copy. http://www.ccohs.ca/products/publications/school.html

They also have a page on a Scent-free Policy for the Workplace.

If you can't find what you need on line, you can call them at:
Inquiries & Client Services
Have a question? Whether it be a health or safety concern about the work you do, or our many products and services, the CCOHS Inquiries and Client Services team is dedicated to answering any questions you may have. Use the form above or the following contact info: [More about...]

Phone:
1-905-570-8094 (8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern Time)

1-800-668-4284 (Toll-free Canada & US)
Fax:
1-905-572-4500
Note:
The confidential, person-to-person, Inquiries Service answering your workplace health and safety questions is primarily for Canadians. If you live outside Canada and need assistance with a workplace health & safety problem read Information Resources and Referrals.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb