Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Flan?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:00 am 
Site Admin

I found this recipe for cupcakes (makes 12) and am developing a flan recipe around it. :)

Golden Vanilla Cake (white version of wacky cake)

1 cup soy milk (or whatever milk substitute you use)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract (original recipe calls for 1/4 tsp of almond extract, which you could use instead - McCormick's is nut-free for sure)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a flan pan (I used a spring form pan since I don't have a flan pan). Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup, set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled. Beat together the the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until no large lumps remain.
Fill pan two-third full and bake for 15 minutes (20-22 minutes for cupcakes) until done. Cool in pan (for spring form) or else, transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.

Custard layer

4 Tbsp Birds custard powder (or any safe brand)
3 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 cups soy milk (or whatever milk substitute you use)

Prepare according to directions on the custard package. Cover with plastic wrap allow to cool but not set completely. Then pour it on top of the cake. Chill until firm (2 hours).

Arrange sliced fruit of your choice in a attractive pattern on top of the custard. I use canned peach slices around the outside and sliced strawberries in the centre.

Glaze
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp sugar
1 box flavoured gelatin (depending on the fruit, I used orange)
2 cups water divided

In a small saucepan, mix cornstarch, sugar and gelatin. Add 1 cup cold water (to disolve the cornstarch) and cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until gelatin is disolved and mixture is starting to thicken. Add second cup of cold water stirring to mix. Let cool slightly and pour over fruit carefully. I poured it over the back of a large spoon to reduce the force.

Allow several hours to set up.

This is a time consuming dessert but it is very pretty! I think I could make a version of this in tart pans using pie crust and create our own version of Tim Tarts! Great for a Mother's Day Tea.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:53 pm 

Susan,

Your recipes look amazing!!! I've always struggled to find a good custard recipe that is egg, milk , nut free. Would you know if the Birds custard is egg, dairy and nut free?

I'm going to try the cake recipe this week.
Thanks,
boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:55 pm 

Susan you are always a step ahead of the rest of us coming up with great ideas and recipes. Thanks for sharing them, they keep me motivated to find new ways to prepare 'old' recipes.

Here's a tidbit I found while looking up Birds Custard.

Bird's Custard was invented by Alfred Bird in 1837, because his wife was allergic to eggs, the key ingredient used to thicken traditional custard.
From what I see online these are the ingredients listed for the standard tin of custard - Ingredients: Cornflour, Salt ,flavorings, Colour (Annatto). Contains no artificial colours. Kraft Food Product. Suitable for Vegetarians.

I bet there wasn't too many options in the 1800's if you had allergies!!!!

Thanks Susan, even one new option is exciting these days. Your flan sounds amazing - minus the fruit, minus the glaze (groan) but the custard I remember from growing up and it is great.
Much appreciated!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Aww, shucks :oops: Thanks.

Boy's mom, my daughter has been eating the custard with no problems. I can't remember if I called or not. We are avoiding all of those allergies and then some!

BC2007, could you thin down a jelly or use some pectin to make a glaze?
This recipe uses pectin to make the glaze
http://lacerise.blogspot.com/2008/07/ta ... -tart.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:32 pm 

Great idea Susan, using jelly would be an easy option.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: Flan?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

bump