You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Students and Scents
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:33 pm 

Oh I wish I could positively say that Students have Sense but unfortunately I can not...

Today a student put on Giorgio Armani cologne just before getting in my car :cry: . Thankfully I discovered he was bringing it to the tournament and stopped him. I had to open the windows despite the other students' complaints. I explained it made me dizzy and nauseous.

As soon as we returned to school he doused himself with it and I could not get near him. Students were asking me to come help them but I could not as they were near him :( .

I am an EA and explained yet again to the teacher and some of the students how painful it is for me with the scents. This has happened with other students and only one warning was needed for them to stop. This particular student may not stop. :?

It is not impossible for me to work but I was nauseous, dizzy, sinuses were in pain and my nose was 'on fire'. Obviously not a good work environment! I could handle it if I did not like the scent but it is far beyond that.

I am sure that I have rights with my co-workers for them not to wear scents but do I have any recourse with students?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:23 pm 

That must be really terrible. I know I have a hard time walking down the detergent aisle, or air freshener aisle in the stores, and it's a pain when guys think they're hot by pouring their cologne on themselves. Subtle is better. I like to inhale my boyfriend's deoderant. :D

The least you can do is can talk to the student. Their mindset is you're not my mother and I do what I want, and I am very sure the principal at the school problem couldn't give two hoots if you were suffering, but you could also maybe discuss it with him/her. Ask the student why he has to wear so much. he would smell so much better without trying to be a skunk. Good Luck. :D

My Allergies: Intolerances, stuff in spring/summer air, certain jewelry, cats, dogs, and, grass, and possibly others!