You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:13 pm 

We had a reaction this past weekend. My daughter's first in about 4 years. We were in the Bulk Barn buying a plastic cake topper for her First Communion. I knew she would not touch anything so I wasn't too worried going in. Out of the blue while waiting for some help, I heard her cough and then I looked over and saw someone scooping nuts into a bag right near her. I quickly moved her away. I assumed that she had inhaled some peanut dust. She coughed 2 more times and then told me her stomach hurt and she was flushed. I was terrified. I dug in my purse and got her epipens and looked for my cell phone. I looked her over carefully and assessed the situation. In that short time that I got her epipens and searched for my forgotten phone, her colour returned to normal and there was nothing else. It seemed to be over. Shaking I took her home.

An hour and a half later she threw up and over the next 2 hours threw up 3 more times. We watched her carefully but she had no other combination of symptoms. A bit of dust from the peanut bin caused her reaction. It really shook our little comfort zone that we have been in.

There has been stomach flu going around her class but this is too much of a coincidence. We are assuming the vomiting was allergy related.

So ---- avoid the Bulk Barn and other bulk food stores!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:16 pm 

Katec, I am so glad to hear your daughter recovered quickly. What a scary situation for you and your daughter. How is your daughter..not reaction wise but scare wise?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:02 pm 

I think she is okay. Unfortunately she does not talk a great deal about how she feels. She is very private. She also does not like to draw attention to herself at least not out in public - at home it's another story. I talked with her after the reaction and told her how important it was that she told us everything that her body was feeling. She didn't have to put on a brave face. I worry about that part of her personality. I will have to bring up another conversation about it once her first communion celebration is over this weekend. It's been a busy week.

I am okay too. I knew I had the epipens with me and felt confident that I could use them. I mentally talked through what I had to do and told myself to stay calm.

We see our allergist in a few weeks so I will be able to talk to him about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Kate, So sorry to hear about the scare.
Glad to hear your daughter's feeling better.

Sounds like dust was being kicked up - you wouldn't think, but it happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:56 pm 

How frightening. Thank you for sharing your story with us, everything is a learning experience. I'm so glad she's ok. It's a pretty scary world out there.