You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What do I need?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:04 am 

As a new mom to the allergy world I am wondering what things I need to carry with us? I have my son's epipen with us in the diaper bag at all times, but what else should I carry with us. Also - should I be making "kits" for his grandparents and aunt?

Any advice would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

You're off to a good start carrying the Epi-Pen. That is essential. Other things that you might like to carry (keep in mind that I am used to a big purse)
Diaper wipes-handy for cleaning surfaces and hands.
Inexpensive (thin) beach towel. Great to use as a blanket in cold aisles at grocery stores, as a picnic blanket, to cover contaminated surfaces for quick changes, as a face cloth (corner) and towel for real messes, as a sun shade over the stroller, as a drape if you are nursing.
Change of clothes
safe foods (I always carry a meal for dd with me)
List of allergens, medications, Dr's information etc.-I keep this with the health card
cell phone/change for pay phone
trainer (trainers can be had by the manufacturer and they are a great way to remind others how to use the auto-injector)
I used a back pack rather than a diaper bag. It carried the load on both shoulders and never got in the way.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:18 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
You're off to a good start carrying the Epi-Pen. That is essential. Other things that you might like to carry (keep in mind that I am used to a big purse)
Diaper wipes-handy for cleaning surfaces and hands.
Inexpensive (thin) beach towel. Great to use as a blanket in cold aisles at grocery stores, as a picnic blanket, to cover contaminated surfaces for quick changes, as a face cloth (corner) and towel for real messes, as a sun shade over the stroller, as a drape if you are nursing.
Change of clothes
safe foods (I always carry a meal for dd with me)
List of allergens, medications, Dr's information etc.-I keep this with the health card
cell phone/change for pay phone
trainer (trainers can be had by the manufacturer and they are a great way to remind others how to use the auto-injector)
I used a back pack rather than a diaper bag. It carried the load on both shoulders and never got in the way.

Thank you Susan! You mentioned you carry a meal for your DD - what sort of stuff do you carry?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:53 pm 

I always keep Children's Benadryl with us, as well as the epipen. If we are going somewhere to eat food I always have a 2nd epipen on hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 pm 

When I go out with the kids, I carry two epipens per child. If all four of us are out, my husband and I will carry two each if there's a chance we might get separated. So, if one or both kids decide to go with either parent, there is at least one epipen per child, and the other parent is within shouting distance. My 4yr old daughter wears her epibelt at school, but we carry it for her when we're out with her. I expect this to change as she gets older.

We also carry benadryl tablets, a small supply of wipes, and snacks at all times, plus diapers/change of clothes for my 2yr old. If we were just going for a walk around the block, I would just take the epis, though. For snacks, if I'm organized, I might slice up some fruit to take with us, but let's face it, I'm usually not that organized and end up bringing safe crackers, raisins, cereal bars, cheerios, etc plus a water bottle with juice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

I always carry something for her next meal. Usually fruit, protein and carbs. I try to think of where I'll be and if I can get something there.

I have been caught sort several times and now own many can openers from having to pick up canned meat for a protein.

My daughter is 7 so I bring pretzels, washed grapes, canned peaches, sliced meat, soy milk...she likes to make gorp from various cereals, dried fruit (dates, apple etc), mini marshmallows and today we added star shaped sprinkles for colour and pizzazz!

Tomorrow we're checking out the Tulip Festival and we're bringing bread sticks, sliced chicken meat, carrot/cucmber/celery with veganaise dip, sticks apple slices with SunButer dip, and some fruit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:53 pm 

i would make sure that epi pen trainers are not in the same bag as the real ones.............................just in case they get mixed up.

1) consider buying some tough tubes to protect the epi pens. you will need them when the children are old enough to carry their own meds. Also , epi pens do seem to wiggle down the bottom of your bag, and I have broken a few of them over the years.

2) lists of contact phone numbers ...................

3) epi pen instuction leaflet. helpful for other adults caring for child.

4) list of all known, current allergies.

5) anti-histimine. ( should be n2 after epi pens really.)

6) inhaler, spacer. if required

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, bag getting heavier, yes, ours as well!!

7) fully charged mobile phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:16 am 

The suggestion for a small blanket of some sort is very good. I always have kept a large flannel blanket in the diaper bag (as it rolls up small). Many times I've used it for changing our son on as change tables are so dirty, I put it directly into a plastic bag and don't use it again before washing it. I've also used it for lining the car seat if our son has played somewhere and I don't want his clothes touching his car seat.

From our pharmacy I was given white plastic medicine syringes (not the kind with a needle but for giving benadryl to our son). I always keep one in a zip loc bag with the benadryl in the diaper bag as it is easier to measure out and literally shoot into his mouth.

I also bought a brand new lunch bag (no contamination that way) and a new set of tiny plastic containers. At all times I keep it full of non-perishable snacks and leave it in the car. Daily I use it and re-stock it. Just a small assortment of cheerios, raisins, an applesauce conatiner etc., then I add in a zip lock bag a bib and TWO spoons, I have dropped a spoon before and then couldn't feed him!
If we know we are going out for the day I will put in a freezer pack add his meal food instead of all snacks.

...I've also put an extra shirt and pants for myself in the car as our son's vomited before and at the time I had a change of clothes for him but not myself.!!!

I'm lucky if I remember diapers in my diaper bag nowadays. Anyone else feel the same :wink: It is the 'boy' suitcase now instead of a diaper bag. Great idea to use a backpack, especially as our son is so small I'm still holding him much of the time. :?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:25 am 

One suggestion, once the kids are old enough (3ys or so) get them to start carrying their allergy/asthma stuff. It is great practice for when they start school and if you start them out young enough, get them used to it, then they (hopefully) won't fight about it when they become tweens and teens!

My youngest was diagnosed anaphylactic to mosquitos just after her 3rd birthday, and knowing that she'd be going to school that fall, I made her a pouch to carry her supplies in so that she could always have them with her. That summer, I got her used to carrying her pouch with : her epipens, benadryl liquid (with spoon), an instrucion card (laminated) and her medic alert card (also laminated), I also tossed in there the instructions that came with the epipens (in a ziploc baggie). Nice, fairly compact, fanny pack for her. Over 2 years later, and she is still using the same pack! 'Course, we do have the "luxury" of getting to hang it up during the winter months when the bugs aren't around. She has also just now "graduated" from the liquid benadryl to the benadryl fast melts (yeah) - which is nice for her - way more portable!.

If you want to see some pics of the epipouch I made for her, let me know.

Dawne

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Bring on the pictures! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:51 pm 

We had a pouch that said "Carries Epipen" on it that we bought from someone here.

re Benadryl --- we have been told to not use it as it can make the child dopey and mask a reaction. Are there different types of Benadryl? I noticed how many on this thread said they carry it. We use Reactine.