You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:27 pm 

I'm wondering if this group has knowledge that could help me understand my reactions to egg and dairy, even though they are not true allergies, according to RAST tests. I've been diagnosed with IBS and other true allergies. I posted about my egg reaction separately, so now the dairy issue:

Are there any ways to be sensitive to milk products, other than lactose intolerance and milk-protein allergy? Are there treatments other than lactase pills and avoidance?

Eating milk products gives me a variety of reactions, depending on quantity and which product. I've had every digestive reaction except vomiting, plus stuffy sinuses, asthma, runny nose, itching (inside the head, on the nipples, perhaps elsewhere), and flaky skin.

I have tried lactase pills, which didn't help (in a short experiment). I have had nasty reactions to lactose-reduced milk and cheese. So it doesn't seem to be a lactose intolerance, though I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

I have tested negative for true milk allergy. Eating products with casein (milk protein) causes no trouble. (Thank goodness for Galaxy Nutrition's rice cheeses.)

Given this information, neither the allergist nor the gastroenterologist could explain what condition I have. In fact, the gastroenterologist insisted that I should eat yogurt and cheese, along with lots of fibre so my irritable gut could tolerate them. I've ignored this advice!

If family history is relevant:
My aunt claims to be truly allergic to milk, though she was tested decades ago, and her reaction is digestive, not itchy/sneezy/asthma/anaphylaxis.
My sister is lactose intolerant, and can have dairy with lactase pills.