You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:09 pm 

I'm wondering if this group has knowledge that could help me understand my reactions to egg and dairy, even though they are not true allergies, according to RAST tests. I've been diagnosed with IBS and other true allergies. First, the egg question:

I can eat significant quantities of egg in pancakes, muffins and other foods where the egg is combined & cooked with flour. But I get (sometimes nasty) digestive reactions to egg without flour, such as in omelette, quiche, or even the little bits of egg in fried rice. I know this reaction happens with egg yolk. I'm not sure if it happens with egg-white alone. I avoid raw egg or undercooked egg (as in custard).

Is this a common or known reaction pattern? It would be nice to expand my food options or find treatments (digestive enzymes or whatever).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:46 pm 

My husband can eat eggs coked into things like cookies, cakes, pancakes, etc, but cannot eat egg cooked by itself or it makes him quite ill, even if it's just a small amount (as in fried rice, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:52 pm 

kmommy wrote:
My husband can eat eggs coked into things like cookies, cakes, pancakes, etc, but cannot eat egg cooked by itself or it makes him quite ill, even if it's just a small amount (as in fried rice, etc.).

Thanks - do you know if he has an allergy or an intolerance? Does his digestive system react, or does he get other symptoms? Have you learned anything further about this, beyond "avoid egg dishes"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:20 am 

metalana wrote:
kmommy wrote:

Thanks - do you know if he has an allergy or an intolerance? Does his digestive system react, or does he get other symptoms? Have you learned anything further about this, beyond "avoid egg dishes"?

The last reaction my hubby had was quite a few years ago when someone put some egg on a pizza. He got an upset stomach and he said his lips felt a bit fat. It is an allergy. Before that he hadn't had a reaction since he was a small child (around age 6). He's usually very careful to avoid eating egg.
He basically just avoids eggs. He does sometimes eat foods with eggs cooked into them, but not very often. Well, actually not anymore since his allergist has put him on a wheat free diet. :?
I always though that his egg allergy was quite strange because he could eat foods like cookies and cakes made with eggs, but couldn't even have just a small amount of egg by itself.
Unfortunately there is still so much that is unknown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:29 pm 

The process of baking the egg at high heat changes it's protein structure, so some with an egg allergy can tolerate baked into foods but not fried or cooked on the stove top.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg